Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've set up my Mbuna 141 gallons / 536 litres tank around 3 months ago. Did some research and decided to buy from local enthusiasts rather than my LFS. I've got around 40 fish and most are still juvenile. I've got lots of hiding spots and i'm guessing i'm bound to have the odd fry here and there survive. What's bothering my slightly is that i wouldn't want any cross breading. Not that the fish I already have haven't been cross bread at some point, most probably they have but i'd rather refrain from having that happen. The question i've got is, which of the following mbunas do i need to remove to prevent that from happening?

I have the following;

10 Demasoni
9 Yellow Labs
6 Cobalt Zebra
5 Rustys
5 Mangiano
3 Auratus
3 Snow White
2 Red top Hongi

I should have thought about this before and to be honest the plan was to have Demasonis, Mangianos and yellow labs but most of the others, i was given for free and didn't think twice about it.

Thanks beforehand
Daniel

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
How long is the tank? I would start with the hongi, snow white and auratus since their breeding groups are not large enough to encourage breeding within their species.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
DJRansome said:
How long is the tank? I would start with the hongi, snow white and auratus since their breeding groups are not large enough to encourage breeding within their species.
Agreed, with the removal of these fish. Especially the auratus who can be very aggressive, and cause problems in most aquariums.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's 1.5 Meters long.

Those would be the easiest to remove and the ones i didn't want in the first place to be honest. How do you guys go about removing the fish? Thought i'd go to the LFS and giving them for free or would finding some local hobbyiest make better sense?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
dmowlin said:
It's 1.5 Meters long.

Those would be the easiest to remove and the ones i didn't want in the first place to be honest. How do you guys go about removing the fish? Thought i'd go to the LFS and giving them for free or would finding some local hobbyiest make better sense?
I'd try local hobbyists first... then the LFS.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
The tank is 60". I would trade in some of the yellow labs for more demasoni females. I like a group of 15 at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts