Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these two mbuna pictured below and a few others a year ago. They're active and eat well, water parameters are perfect, temp at 79, they eat NorthFin veggie, water changes 50% weekly...
but at 2+ inches, I'm still waiting for these males to show some color. Is it just a waiting game?

The two pictured are Jalo Reef and Chewere (btw, his fin tears are from a zebra chase which he was removed)
I have a Chailosi which is brilliant which I got at the same time...and he's not a bully, so I wouldn't think he's the issue.
Anyone had this happen?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both have a female in tank
in total:
Female Williamsi 3-4"
Female Chewere
Female Jalo Reef
Male Chailosi about 3-4"
Male Hongi (smaller)
Colbalt (sex?) about 4"
Trawasae red top (sex?) about 3"
Trawasae marmalade cat (sex?) about 3"
small clown lab
Usisya mbenji (male I think) about 3"

75 gallon tank

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
If you want full color either remove all the females or provide 4 females for each male.

If doing the second thing...choose 4 species that all look different (so for example one blue barred fish).

Chailosi is dominant, thus full color. He may not be doing anything to the other fish...but the dominant fish will have the best color. In a male tank you will always have a range of dominance and rarely get every male to color up. In a mixed gender tank with enough females and no look-alikes (1m:4f for example) the single male of each species has a good chance of coloring up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you that makes sense. I follow someone on Youtube and he has great colors with his mbuna, but my assumption is there's no females.
Marc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.