Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering about treting Mbuna cichlids with ich. I've had a lot of experience treating fish with ich, but not cichlids. Two of my fish already it pretty badly before i had a chance to buy the medicine, but they didn't have the kind i usually buy(they had a powdery kind, not the dissolving discs that I'm used to), the treatment didn't work and those two fish died. I just bought a liquid treatment which was recommended by the store helper. I have now been using it for 24 hours so I haven't had time to notice any changes yet.

I'm wondering if the problem was
A. My late reaction and treatment.
B. The brand I used was poor quality.
C. Cichlids aren't as good at dealing with ich as other fish are.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
449 Posts
Timothy12 said:
Does it work really well? Also I don't know where I could get canning salt. Would aquarium salt work?
thanks!
Canning salt can be purchased at most supermarkets; aquarium salt or sea salt (also available at the grocery) would work as well. Aquarium salt is more expensive.

· Registered
210 Posts
At walmart they have huge bags of solar salt for 6 bucks. The africans love having salt, they go rub their bodies all in it and look like they are ecstatic. I just keep salt in with them all the time, though I have laughed to see how many people kick up a fuss about this. I keep it about halfway between brackish and fresh.

Solar salt is salt that is dried in the sun from seawater, btw. I suppose you could use this for marine aquariums too and save a bundle, but I have not done so before.

· Registered
449 Posts
Timothy12 said:
Sea salt? I'm pretty sure the sea salt that you can buy at the grocery store has iodine.
Sea salt is dehydrated sea water; if it has iodine it will be clearly marked on the front of the container like table salt.

· Registered
210 Posts
Oh, and I second the malachite green as a medication, though I would not bother with it for simple ich unless you just can't get it to go. Great stuff, just dillute it before adding to aquarium, if you get a drop directly on a fish in a sensitive spot it means immediate death.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.