Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only recently determined how to see if a fish is holding. Prior to that if we found one or two fry hidden in the rocks we were just excited wondering what they were going to be. Over the past six months only one has survived and grown into a full size fish (a rusty). Last week we were able to count 11 hidden in the rocks after a holding yellow, rusty and cobalt blue spit, I think there are six now. But wait, yesterday, I noticed a acai holding too. Is this going to be a constant thing, will the ones that grow up enter into the reproductive world with their parents? Add this crazy breeding to the list of things i was told but never fully grasped, like digging.

I've tried setting up a separate tank for the moms to spit in peace, but trying to catch them has proven impossible without removing the rocks and disrupting the babies in the rocks, so I've decided to let it be and put colorful danio's in that tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
It will be constant. If you remove some of the smaller rocks and add Synodontis, you may eliminate the future survivors. If they continue to survive, your tank will end up overcrowded and your m:f ratios could suffer. Also you may have the dilemma of concern over selling or giving away extras just in case some crossbreeding may have occurred.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.