Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had my 80 gallon mbuna tank set up for about 5 months or so. its been all the same fish in there since then. they were all doing fine until yesterday when i saw one hiding by the filter output.
his color is pale and everytime he comes down the others chase him away.

he still eats like crazy still.....

... i re-arranged the decor to take away territories but he's still hiding.

anything i can do to lessen the aggression towards this one guy?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Need more info like tank dimensions & stocklist. If you've already re-arranged the decor & he's still hiding, then you'll most likely need to remove the aggressor; but as already mentioned -need a little more info/specifics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
80 gallon tank.

been setup for 5 months

2 red zebra
5 electric yellows
2 bumble bee cichlids
2 demasoni
3 male pseudotropheus polit

the smallest male pseudotropheus polit is the one being pushed out

they're all full grown and have all been living together for about 3 years (in another tank before mine)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Since you have multiple male polits, my 1st guess would be that it's probably the dom. polit who is the aggressor...?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Is this an all male tank?
Polit's are like Demasoni in that they are highly aggressive to their own kind.
I'm surprised the 2 Demasoni are getting along, normally you'd want either 1 or 15+ as they tend to scrap with each other until you end up with 1. Perhaps they're m/f? In any case, you can leave them be if they're getting along.
Stocking seems low for an 80g which is probably not helping, makes it easier to pick on one fish.
Having never owned Polit you can take this advice with a grain of salt (or until someone more knowledgeable shows)
I'd probably add 3 or 4 and remove males as you go until you have 1 or 2 males and 4 or 5 females.
Same goes for the Zebras, add/remove until you have 1 male for 4 females.
1 male for 5 or 6 females for the BB's.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
What are the dimensions and is it a rectangle or a different shape like a bow?

Sounds like a lot of species for an 80G and your numbers are low on most of them IMO and IME on some of the species.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I would agree that your numbers and ratios are most likely the cause of the problem

and like the others have said, we need to know the tank type and dimensions to be able to really make suggestions

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a standard 80 gallon. 4 foot wide and about 18 inches deep and about 20 high

these cichlids have been living in a 65 gallon previous to this for 2 and half years. exact same group

the demasoni started out as a group of 20 but now its just the 2 left

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so weird thing is happening..... the smaller male is mating with the largest male.

um they're doing their little dance in a circle and the smaller guy is reaching for the anal fin of the bigger guy.

what the heck? gay fish?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Are they face to face at all during this dance? Locking lips? If they are, then they're fighting, seems odd if one is a fair bit larger than the other. You're sure they're both males?
My 2 Elongatus males used to do this circling dance occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
They are fighting.

When you have an established peaceful tank, moving the fish to another tank or even just rearranging the rocks in the existing tank can and often does have the fish fighting to re-establish territories. You will have winners and losers. Sounds like you have a loser. I'd remove him before he becomes sick under the stress and infects your tank.

If I wanted to fix THIS tank I'd choose four species and stock with 1m:4f of each except for the Demasoni and crabro.

If you want to keep the Demasoni I'd do a minimum of 15 individuals. If you want to keep the crabro I'd go down to 3 species and stock the crabro at 1m:7f.

The standard 48" x 18" I am aware of is 75 US Gallons so maybe it's different where you are, sometimes the odd number of gallons indicates a bowfront or corner tank. The shape makes a difference to stocking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fighting?

one of them was vibrating while the other one was reaching for the eggspots on his back fin....

im sure they're both male because they're all blueish white.... females are redish.

i think im just gonna add way more rocks. and allow them to figure it out

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Yes that is fighting. Spawning and fighting movements are the same, except spawning circles are slower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts