Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have two distinct 75 gallon tanks going...mbuna in one and and male hap/peacock in the other. With one exception, in my all male tank, I have a nearly 5" socolofi. Back when I moved my mbuna to their own tank, the socolofi was getting chased badly and ended up in the corner and stressed, so I decided to give him a break and put him over in all male. Now months later, he actually gets along fine over there. BUT, I'm wondering if it's at the cost of my males coloring up. Most of my peacock/haps are 2- 3 1/2" and some are doing ok color-wise, but others (like ruby red, lemon jake) aren't showing much.
Could the presence of the single mbuna be causing this or should I just give them more time? or should I try moving him back over to his own kind and see how he does? I'm guessing that'll be the answer, but thought this might be good for some discussion, as I continue to learn about this hobby.

FYI, in mbuna tank that's close to his size are several zebras, 2 cobalt, 1 nkomo lime (boss), some ob zebra (co-boss). The ones that gave him the most grief were the cobalt. i assume based off similar appearance.

Water changes weekly, quality and all check out good.

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
The socolofi could be causing an issue. I don't do all male, but please list everything in that tank so others can advise.

The mbuna tank kinda sounds like a mix of zebra types. Similar, large profile and solid to mostly solid coloring. Not surprised you had an outcast. If you do move the socolofi, plan to watch carefully with net in hand. You will likely have to remove him within a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Yes similar appearance. I would rehome him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, the all male tank is the hap/peacock and not the mbuna tank. That is a mix.
so sounds like fact I have mostly solid colored mbuna (mostly orange zeba, one nkomo lime, 2 cobalt) that could be causing the issues?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and the all male tank is:
acai 4" i realize he's mbuna, but he's chill
eastern happy
ruby red
ob peacock
blue neon
swallowtail
lemon jake
venustus 4"
dragon blood
red top aristo
azureus
star sapphire 3"

all others above are 2-3"

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
The socolofi could be causing the haps and peacocks to show poor colors. And if he was rejected in the mbuna tank...something caused that as well. Socolofi and cobalts are look alikes, so even with mixed gender mbuna, you go for different appearances.

In a 75G with mixed gender mbuna, think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f of each. Sounds like you may have too many species and not enough of each to diffuse aggression? Maybe choose one Metriaclima species and if you choose cobalts, omit the socolofi?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So he may need to be re-homed then. He's a beautiful fish too, but he does look just like the cobalts and putting him back now makes him the newcomer, so not liking the potential outcome.

Thanks DJ - I'll keep you posted throughout the process

1 - 7 of 7 Posts