Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I own a 150x50x50 cm tank with 4 adults Aulonocara about 8-10cm. (here a few pics: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i57TfAunoJSd14YcGO9i1TUh_EikY2wz)

The dominant orange/blu male is aggressive against everyone, especially with the orange peacock female.
In order to spread around the attention of the two males I'm going to add 5 more 6cm female peacocks.
But together with them I'd love to add some blu Mbunas. The pet store owner gave me the opportunity to have Maylandia zebra (about 5cm).

Now the question is: is the Maylandia zebra the "Red zebra" (that have no blue) or is the following one?
https://c8.alamy.com/compit/fj660p/zebr ... fj660p.jpg

Are these mbunas ok with bigger OBs?
How's coloured the female?

Any answer is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,496 Posts
OB peacocks are likely a hybrid between peacock and mbuna. So they could possibly tolerate the combination with mbuna a little better than some other peacocks. You could try it as long as you have a backup plan. Why not choose Acei for a blue that is more peaceful and more compatible with peacocks than the zebra?

Maylandia is not used as much as Metriaclima these days for the zebra group although it is a subject of debate. Only a few of the Metriaclima have the word "zebra" as part of their name, but the common name for Metriaclima is zebra. Finally there is usually a third part of the scientific name that gives you the collection point of the fish.

So the answer is Maylandia zebra does not give us enough information to identify the fish being sold.

The most common Metriaclima available in pet stores here is Metriaclima estherae which is the red zebra, and it is a line-bred fish called the cherry red where both males and females are orange. Females keep their bright orange color and male cherry reds turn a peach color when mature. The estherae from Minos Reef have blue males and orange females.

If you are considering a blue barred Metriaclima there are many varieties. If I had to guess, I would say your pet store is selling the estherae, not the blue barred fish in your picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
OB peacocks are likely a hybrid between peacock and mbuna. So they could possibly tolerate the combination with mbuna a little better than some other peacocks. You could try it as long as you have a backup plan. Why not choose Acei for a blue that is more peaceful and more compatible with peacocks than the zebra?

Maylandia is not used as much as Metriaclima these days for the zebra group although it is a subject of debate. Only a few of the Metriaclima have the word "zebra" as part of their name, but the common name for Metriaclima is zebra. Finally there is usually a third part of the scientific name that gives you the collection point of the fish.

So the answer is Maylandia zebra does not give us enough information to identify the fish being sold.

The most common Metriaclima available in pet stores here is Metriaclima estherae which is the red zebra, and it is a line-bred fish called the cherry red where both males and females are orange. Females keep their bright orange color and male cherry reds turn a peach color when mature. The estherae from Minos Reef have blue males and orange females.

If you are considering a blue barred Metriaclima there are many varieties. If I had to guess, I would say your pet store is selling the estherae, not the blue barred fish in your picture.
Hi Ransome,
thanks for your prompt and precise reply.
I wrote the pet store a message again, he's going to investigate on the proper name but he already told me the fish is a blue zebra...so I think it could be a "Maylandia Zebra Chilumba"...
I let you guys know soon.

BTW: do you think my tank is going to be too small for all these fishes?
4 adult OBs (8-10cm, 2 males)
5 new 6cm female OBs.
8 Maylandia Zebra (they should be 2 males and 6 females).
The tank is 150cm x 50cm x 50cm but there are lots of rocks (see pictures above).

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
40,496 Posts
20 fish in a 60" tank will work well.

I would not do 2 males of anything. 1m:4f usually works. I would skip the zebra in a peacock tank, but depending on the collection point (Chilumba is not a collection point) the females do not look like the male and may be drab.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
20 fish in a 60" tank will work well.

I would not do 2 males of anything. 1m:4f usually works. I would skip the zebra in a peacock tank, but depending on the collection point (Chilumba is not a collection point) the females do not look like the male and may be drab.
Thanks again for sharing your opinion Ransome.
Here are the pics the owner sent today of the Maylandia blue Zebra...they not clear at all but it's better than nothing:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m-1LOJFmAM94GuZT1BG-NzAhfzuUJWTy?usp=sharing

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I would skip them. The pics don't really look like anything definite to me. Combine that with the weird name and who knows what you're getting.

·
Super Moderator
40,496 Posts
james1983 said:
I would skip them. The pics don't really look like anything definite to me. Combine that with the weird name and who knows what you're getting.
Plus one. In addition to the fact that there is a good chance they will be too aggressive with the peacocks and females are likely to be drab.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys,
I finally received the Maylandia zebra and the OBs from the pet store.
I post here a video asking you to help me to find the right species of the Maylandia:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19lntOkfPaS8weY_ueHTo12IIdsZ7Phl7

My idea it's that they are Metriaclima estherae blue Minos reef, but I'm not sure because Metriaclima callainos (blue cobalt zebra) look similar.

Could you help me to find them out?

·
Super Moderator
40,496 Posts
Please post the question about fish ID to the Unidentified Forum. I would move it but most of the post is not related to ID.

If they were sold to you as Maylandia zebra they could be hybrids...hybrids can look exactly like pure fish. One of the advantages of buying fish from a vendor that provides a scientific name and collection point is that you can work with the seller if they are not the fish they told you you were buying.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Esthera have the Roange trim at the edge of their Tail fin. For me this has always been reliable when trying to differentiate Caillainos from Estherea.I don't usually need to use it to determine. I don't find the two species to be that similar. Esthere males are usually only as light blue as Caillainos when they are showing hard for spawning. Caillainos,IME are always a lighter blue. Their dress color is even more vibrant,but in comparison they are still very different hues. based on what I can tell You have a tank full of Metriaclima Caillainos,with one exception. The fish at the start of the video,who also seems to be showing Some barring,I would bet on it being Metriaclima Estherea. I can see it does have orange trim on it's tail fin,where I see none in the others.If you did have a tank full of Estherea,they would have to be all males. They're all blue. There isn't blue estherea females. So that part is easy to figure. I'm only giving you my impressions on what I notice in the video However,so of course I can't be 100% certain. But I have years experience with both species,and I would be removing the 1st fish in the video,and keeping the rest as Caillainos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts