Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75g housing 20 Dems and 8 Yellow Labs! I also have a 20g high that currently has 6 Dem fry! There's at least 1 maybe 2 more Dems holding and I can't fit another tank anywhere even though I'd like to!

So here's what I'm gonna do unless you all have a better suggestion for me!

I'm gonna put the divider I have in the 20g and place a breeding net in the one side with the filter exhaust for proper water flow for the fry! I'm gonna place 1 holding Dem ( or Yellow Lab) at a time on the other side! The fry will be in the net on the opposite side of the divider to prevent them getting sucked out by any holding or freshly spit mom! I think this will work in the short term but I'd like some suggestions on what to do considering I'm going to continuously have holding females! Thanks for the help!!!! :fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
To raise all batches of fry it helps to have 3 tanks for the various sizes of fry and leave the moms in the show tank until ready to strip. Put them right back so you don't need maternity tanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sooooo if I were to get another tank.....would a 10g be sufficient for the smaller fry and the 20g be for the larger fry? How would you utilize what I have with lets say ANOTHER tank?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If your using the ten for the freshly stripped fry it should be fine. and then once they get a bit bigger they can normally blend in with the bigger guys in the 20. congrats on all the babies!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
why bother getting another tank?

just get one of those big plastic boxes, i think you call them rubbermaid tubs, and use them to raise fry in all you need is a heater and sponge filter for each one.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
See I have had trouble trying to raise fry to 1.5" in a 10G and even in a 20G if I'm raising a full batch of 20 or more fry.

If you figure it won't be just one batch of fry (if you save all clutches you could have 80 or 100 of them) I think you will need something more like a 55G for the final couple of months. Tank, tub, whichever.

I'm usually trying to get more females, not just more fish. So I'm not adding them to the main tank at 1/2". Also my LFS requires they be 1.5" to sell.

You can do fine with one fry tank. Just save only one batch of fry every six months.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So how many fry can I have in my 20g (high not long) comfortably? And seeing that I'm only going to being adding a holding female occasionally in the one side of the 20g do you think the tank divider I have will be sufficient in stopping her from sucking through any fry on the other side? Its plastic and the holes are pretty small but I know you can never be too careful! I'll only be adding a female until she spits so maybe that will reduce the chances she sucks any through although she will be quite hungry after spitting!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with anyone here, just giving my limited experience. I have a 29 gallon fry tank. I imagine a 20L would be as good. I have raised rusties and saulosi in the tank to over 1 1/2" in about 3 or 4 months. At one time I had over 60 fry in the tank. I just recently moved about 15 juvies to my main tank. However, I do 50-75% water changes every couple of days or so. My fry tank is bare with about 8 1" PVC Tees in it for hiding places. When I have a new batch, I put them in a breeder net in the fry tank until they are big enough to release with the older fry.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Jman do you strip or let them spit on their own?

I just put the divider in my 20g high fry tank. I have 6 fry on the one side & I'm gonna put another holding female in the other side tonight until she spits! I'm just not sold on stripping yet! We'll see if this works! Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have 10 gallons for maternity, new fry, and quarantines. Once the fry get a little bigger, I move them to my 29 growout. I have not had a problem getting my hara to 1.5-2" in the 29. There is 80-100 of them in there right now. Ideally, I want a bigger growout, but I also want about 209384903x more tanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ahab,

I strip the moms at about 18-21 days, depending on water changes. I just catch my mom while changing the water since I usually remove and clean everything then too. I strip her fry into a bucket and then they go into the breeder net in the fry tank. Mom goes right back into the main tank. It is so much easier than waiting for them to spit. Stripping is easier than it sounds. Look on youtube for videos. Like RRasco, my grow out tank is a 29 gallon. It has worked perfectly for me so far. I have a brand new complete 40 Breeder setup with stand, T5 lighting and everything, but I have no where to put it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts