Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put some Seachem Matrix in my sunsun canister. I added it loose to the top tray of the canister. my understanding is that the flow is from bottom to top.

My concern is that some of the pieces of Matrix float. I do have a tray cover that goes between the top tray and the impeller head but there are some holes in that where some pieces could go through. I''m worried that some pieces could float up and get in the way of the impeller - especially the smaller pieces.

Does the Matrix eventually sink? do i need to put it in bags or remove the ones that float? I just added the Matrix last night and so it's been running for about 12 hours now with no apparent issues but i have not looked inside again to see what's going on inside.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would not want anything to get into the filter's impeller; you could put it in a bag, or, place a piece of polyfill or a fine sponge over it to hold it in place. I only have Matrix in one filter and it is in a bag, so I don't know if it will eventually sink.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a good bag to use so I suppose u could put one of the fine filter pads on top instead of under the matix in my top tray

·
Registered
767 Posts
3000GT said:
I don't have a good bag to use so I suppose u could put one of the fine filter pads on top instead of under the matix in my top tray
I would leave the fine pad under your matrix and just add a pad to the top. The extra pad does not have to be fine, just needs to stop the floating matrix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts