Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering setting up a maternity tank and have a couple questions that I haven't found answers to while doing research. I was going to buy a 10 or 20 gallon with a filter (duh), heater, and one piece of deco. I will fill the tank with water from my tank the first time and use media from the main tank in the filter. When it's unoccupied and I don't have a holding female do I still keep water in the tank and perform weekly water changes? I guess I'm confused as to how the bacteria colony will remain alive during periods where there aren't any fish in there.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
The easiest way would be to have an additional filter in the main tank that can be transferred to the 'temporary' tank for those times you need one. You can use a power filter (HOB) or an air driven sponge filter and just transfer to the new tank when needed. You can leave the 'temporary' tank empty of water when you don't need it and transfer the filters back to the main tank.

Another option I saw Friday at my local aquarium club was an in-tank breeder box made by Ziss called the EZ Breeder Box. I checked out their website Here for details and viewed a bunch of videos online on how it's worked for other aquarists so that may be an option for you. It may not be large enough for larger cichlids though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I've already got 2 AC110s and a canister on the main tank, if I can find a spot to put a smaller AC20 or something like that I think that'd be my best bet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deeda said:
The easiest way would be to have an additional filter in the main tank that can be transferred to the 'temporary' tank for those times you need one. You can use a power filter (HOB) or an air driven sponge filter and just transfer to the new tank when needed. You can leave the 'temporary' tank empty of water when you don't need it and transfer the filters back to the main tank.

Another option I saw Friday at my local aquarium club was an in-tank breeder box made by Ziss called the EZ Breeder Box. I checked out their website Here for details and viewed a bunch of videos online on how it's worked for other aquarists so that may be an option for you. It may not be large enough for larger cichlids though.
Your breeder box idea had me do some research and I found this, marina-hang-on-breeding-box
it seems to have good reviews so I may give it a try. Put the mom in there at around 17/18 days then divide her off once she spits, feed her for a couple days then put her back. How long would you say the fry could stay in there before they'd have to move to something larger?

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
Some people have good results with the Marina Hang on Breeder box so try it if you want. I used it strictly for Tanganyikan fry and while it worked OK, I was disappointed with the slight difference in temperature between the main tank and the box, not really great water movement and the fact it hung on the outside of the tank and interfered with tank lid closure and can be knocked off if in tight quarters such as a fish room.

Anyhow, the fry should be OK for a few weeks as long as you keep up with siphoning out excess food and feces but be ready to transfer them to an appropriate size tank for raising them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.