Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Matadi Kribs

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  IanoYG 
Matadi is a population of Pelvicachromis subocellatus.Some people refer to all species of this Genus as "Kribs", though there are several very different species. Your fish do appear to be this population/species. As for sex, I do see a pair. Look at the ventral fins. Females have rounded looking ventrals, while males have longer, pointed ventrals. This characteristic is common to all species of this genus, which is where the name Pelvic-achromis comes from.

This species does not have the brightly colored males of the common Krib, the males are a bit more subdued. Females in non-courting colors are also not particularly impressive; however, once she selects a cave and starts courting the male, you will see a dramatic change in her appearance. This was my female breeder in front of her coconut cave:

Pelvicachromis subocellatus Matadi Br female.jpg

It is a nice fish, tends to stay a bit smaller than regular Kribs IME, and are pretty good breeders/parents.

The stripes will fade as they settle into the tank. I would not keep the fry with them too long in a tank that size. It's good size for a pair, not so much for a group.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.