Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought 2 Marlieri's last sunday and put them in the tank. Great looking fish and peaceful (for about a day or two). After a few days i noticed the two of them roaming the tank, pretty well beating on any fish that got in their way. So i took them out of the tank, did a HUGE rearrange, and made an amazing tunnel and cave system. Also made it so that only half the tank was rocks, and the other half was shellie land, hoping that since less tank area was rocks, he wouldnt venture into the shellie side.

After a day or two of shock due to the new rock system, he seemed pretty docile, but now again him and his partner are roaming looking for fights?

Not sure what else to do, other then bring them both back. Really want tank harmony so my brevis will finally start mating..dont think they will while being tormented.

36" 33 gallont tank.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Depends which marlieri, but if it's not gombe, the smaller one, then I'd suggest taking them back. 36" would work for them alone if they've paired up. What else is in the tank?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If they're not doing real harm, give it time. Sometimes aggression is worse in the early going IME. What you're seeing may be due to a pair forming and they're clearing a territory. What you have could be gombe, but no way to be sure. You could try adding more danio's. Let them be either distractions or punching bags. I don't think you can or need do anything to promote spawning. Juli's are pretty much 'just add water' fish. If they're not beating on each other, then that's a good sign.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tim is right on. If you don't mind the pecularity of having them, I have very successfully used swordtails as target fish in Tanganyika tanks. They aare ok with hard alkaline water and normally roam the upper half of the tank. You might very well have a tank full of julies soon. They are outstanding parents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts