Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the distributor that bring our supplies to the LFS I work at said that they might be having a recall on these heathers. The will explode if kept at over 82 degrees. I guess it the bigger ones over 100watt. but you should google it and see some of the pictures. Its blowing out the glass.

I'm pretty bummed out cuz I have about 10 of these guys and am crazy worried now. :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
How would the average person handle a recall if they have 10 of the heaters in tanks? Would they ship 10 new heaters B4 you return your recalled ones. If not?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lestango said:
How would the average person handle a recall if they have 10 of the heaters in tanks? Would they ship 10 new heaters B4 you return your recalled ones. If not?
Who knows. I will probably just wait and see if they exploded :D
I guess marineland tells you to look under the rubber part on the top for the series # which is white. But as I was reading more about it people were breaking the heaters trying to find this number.

I'm not sure there having a recall yet this is just what our supplier said.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The lot number is 01H31, and it's printed on the heater. You don't have to tear it apart. Under the rubber part means 'below' the rubber part, not physically underneath it. (And it's not actually rubber, just the plastic 'cap') Look where the cord goes into the heater. It's directly below that in small white letters. This is an old issue and you can find rumors of a recall going way back, so we'll see.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you prov :thumb:

I will check mine out. I haven't heard about it until today so it made me nervous. After reading some of the other forums online some go back almost two years.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Yeah, it's an old issue. I don't think there'll be a recall if there hasn't been one yet. And I've not heard of anyone having an issue outside of that lot number. I've got several of these still running ok, as they're not the bad lot number.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My brother had his blow up. completely smashed out the front of his 40 long. He is currently in negotiations to have the tank and all of the marineland heaters replaced or refunded.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a registered Stealth 200W and just received the following recall:

We're contacting you with important recall information regarding your Marineland Stealth Heater (25W, 50W, 75W, 100W, 150W, 200W, 250W) purchased between 2004 - 2009. United Pet Proup (UPG) has determined that a wiring problem can cause the aquarium heaters to overheat or break during normal use, resulting in property damage and posing hazards to consumers.
As a valued customer, your safety and satisfaction is our priority. If you are still using one of the Marineland Stealth Heaters in question, please take the following steps:
1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank
UPG will arrange the return of the recalled model(s) in your possession in exchange for your choice of a free replacement heater (Visi-Therm Deluxe), or full refund. Please contact UPG at (800) 338-4896 between 7:30 am - 5:30 pm EST Monday through Friday to begin the process.
If you'd prefer to arrange your return/refund through Foster & Smith Aquatics, or to discuss trying a Fluval M Submersible Heater as an alternate replacement instead, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-443-1160. Our friendly customer service representatives are always happy to help you, 7 am-10 pm, CST, 7 days a week.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I have had to replace 7 Stealth heaters through three different retailers and through United Pet Group. By far, the easiest way to go is to contact the retailer you bought the heater from and ask for an exchange.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It looks like my retailer (Foster & Smith) are offering a Fluval M as an alternate replacement, but I've never used Fluval.

·
Registered
705 Posts
all u gotta do is go on into petsmart. (call first) they "sold" all versions of it so they should hook u up with in store credit to w.e amount they all cost originally. im under the impression that marineland just pays them back for w.e they get in stock. i took mine back. better safe then sorry. (they blow up like m80s and are likely to kill ur fish as well, also marineland will NOT give u anything back but the cost of the original heater) GL to ya.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Between the three different sources, I'll have some Fluvals, some Ehiems and now a check for $70 for something else too. I've been using a fluval M for a few months and it's rock solid so far, even in a tank next to a window and doing a 20 degree bump from what I set my house temperature at in the winter.

I've used Stealths for years- dunno what's going to be my new favorite.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Stealth heater's quality used to be very good but has gone to the bottom IMO.After losing a tank full of delicate juvenile Tanganyikan b/c the water temp was like bath water,I switched to Fluval tronic and E heaters with no issues at all with them.Check out the review section on here and you will see Stealths are not good anymore even if they do not blow up your tank they will stick on which is much worse than not heating.

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
My new favorites are in-line heaters. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Converted mine out to Fluval M heaters (qty 5) and they seem to be doing fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts