Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60g tank currently with 5 total fish (4 yellow labs and 1 female Salousi). I have been running the tank in total for about 7 months and have had fish for about 3 months. My quesion is, since this is my first canister filter, how often do I need to take the filter itself apart? My tank is staying clean. I do about a 25% water change every 7-10 days and a 50% cleaning once a month that includes the substrate and walls and algae. Just want to check and see if I need to be taking the filter apart on some frequency. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
I suggest checking and rinsing the filter media for your tank about this time since it's been 3 months with fish in the tank and you have a relatively light bio-load. Follow the filter instructions for cleaning and you can use a bucket of tank water to clean the media. More than likely you will NOT need to replace any media or fine filter pads.

The frequency you need to clean the filter will depend on a lot of different factors. Some look at seeing a reduced filter output flow while others do it at regular intervals. The best method I use is to see how dirty the filter media looked at the last cleaning and then adjust to shorter or longer intervals as needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts