Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got a 4 foot 75 gal and am planning on getting the marineland double bright LED light fixture. My question is would it be better to get a single 36" model (they have legs that extend to 48") or get two 24" fixtures that would cover the entire tank. Pictures would really be appreciated if you have done this setup. My tank contains yellow labs and demasoni.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would get the 36" or even the 48", The way the legs are set up, having two fixtures won't work well unless you remove the legs and sit the lights right on your glass tops.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shellies215 said:
I would get the 36" or even the 48", The way the legs are set up, having two fixtures won't work well unless you remove the legs and sit the lights right on your glass tops.
unfortunately 36" is the max length of the lights, the legs extend out to allow it to sit on a 48" tank. I'm worried this would leave the tank too dark at the sides.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You might also look into the newer model Reef Capable as it puts out even more light ! I don't have one myself but I have seen them on display at a couple LFS's in my area and I have been looking at reviews of these LED fixtures. Overall the reviews are only okay regarding the amount of light that they actually emit . I want one too but I am waiting for Marineland to work out a few things before I jump on board the LED wagon.
I think LED fixtures will get better over time as it is still a fairly new and EXPENSIVE option. The bulbs they are using now are only one watt and I think they need a higher wattage ,just my opinion. A couple of other things to consider is the need of separate cords or switches enabling the function of the moon lights to be run independently of the day lights. Also I don't quite understand the whole concept of having have so much length expandability versus light fixture - 48" to 60" = 12" of dead space, I think thats a waste of money and crucial lighting space. From what I have seen they seem to be selling but I would like to see these improvements made before I fork over my hard earned cash. For the price of the LED fixture I could purchase a much more light efficient T5 for less that half the price.
I hope Marineland pays some attention to the fish forums via the internet so they are aware of these issues !

Good luck with your lighting choice :)

·
Banned
406 Posts
jrf said:
For what it’s worth, here’s a picture of the 55 gallon. However, the ends are a bit darker in person than they are in the photo.

I like your tank, it looks nice, simple and very clean (look wise I mean). Are those real rocks in your tank?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just finished setting up my 75g with the 36" double brights on it. Had them on a 55 and it was a little bright for my taste but did look nice. My water is still a little cloudy from filling it up so will post some pics as soon as it clears up.

If I could do it over again, I would still stick with the 36 inch. Think 2 of the 24's would be a bit too much. I love how the light falls off on the ends leaving some shadows.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fubu56 said:
You might also look into the newer model Reef Capable as it puts out even more light !
Unfortunately that model is pushing the outer limits of my budget. That 55g looks great but might be too dark for my liking. It's a tough decision especially when you can get a double T5 for less.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
I just finished setting up my 75g with the 36" double brights on it. Had them on a 55 and it was a little bright for my taste but did look nice. My water is still a little cloudy from filling it up so will post some pics as soon as it clears up.
That would be appreciated! :D

·
Registered
929 Posts
ShagPower said:
fubu56 said:
You might also look into the newer model Reef Capable as it puts out even more light !
Unfortunately that model is pushing the outer limits of my budget. That 55g looks great but might be too dark for my liking. It's a tough decision especially when you can get a double T5 for less.
If there's a T5 in your buget, go with it over the LEDs. They definately provide a wider coverage area. The LEDs are bright, but the light is much more directed and it leaves shadows - I like the look. However, it doesn't sound like you will.

The only advantage of the LEDs is the bulb life and the electrical consumption. But, if you hate the way your tank looks, it's not going to be worth it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have 2 24" fixtures on my 48" 60g tank right now. The tank is well lit and I like it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes, they are adequate for plants. I had my doubts when my LFS sold me a single bright for a planted 20g long. That system has been up and running about 4 weeks now and the plants are thriving.

I've been testing 3 low light plants (anubias and java fern) in my 60g tank (not in the above picture) for about a week and they are doing fine.

I believe the reef lights are for growing corals.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
@ShagPower, Sorry it took me so long. Went to go take a pic lastnight and the battery was dead on camera, then couldnt find charger..... but all good to go now. Water is still a little cloudy but is improving nicely. Tried to get some decent shots of it so I hope this helps ya.

Here is another.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Here's my 6 foot tank with two 36" Marineland LEDs. The tank is only 20" deep. Anything deeper and you'd probably want something more powerful.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Anything deeper and you'd probably want something more powerful
This was my experience on my 120. The fact Marineland didn't put the lunar lights on a seperate circuit is a problem. I sent mine back... Light intensity was weak & too focused.

·
Registered
929 Posts
zimmy said:
Here's my 6 foot tank with two 36" Marineland LEDs. The tank is only 20" deep. Anything deeper and you'd probably want something more powerful.

Great looking tank zimmy.

The lunar light setup is just plain dumb - no doubt. But, with some modding you can get around it if you really want to. I did it to the 36" unit over my 55 gallon. Then decided it wasn't worth the extra effort for the 24" unit over my 30 gallon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts