Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted some opinions on if I have to purchase a glass top before using my 48in marine lights or just drop water in tank to prevent splashing

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have just purchased these lights and have them sitting directly on the glass top. (I'm using 2x36" on a 72" tank) The manufacturer's instructions state that this is okay and it works for me since I removed the foot rails (The rails they normally sit on don't sit properly on my centre brace.)

Which is a round about way of saying that I would use a glass top. No risk of ruining your lights, losing fish to jumping or massive electricity/water bills from rapid evapouration.

kevin

·
Registered
929 Posts
I took mine apart in order to modify it. The plastic surface where the light diffusers are looks to be adequately sealed. However, where the plastic butts up to the edge of the housing isn’t sealed tight enough to keep the water or evaporation out in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn’t run mine over an open tank. Although, I must admit I tend to be overly cautious about this stuff.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
jrf said:
I took mine apart in order to modify it. The plastic surface where the light diffusers are looks to be adequately sealed. However, where the plastic butts up to the edge of the housing isn’t sealed tight enough to keep the water or evaporation out in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn’t run mine over an open tank. Although, I must admit I tend to be overly cautious about this stuff.
I have two 36"units on a six foot tank (or will when my tank is off the dining room floor and up and running). jrf what mods did you do?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
OK. Thanks. I thought you meant you did a modification to improve the seal...not that I'd necessarily do it because mine will be over glass. Just curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts