Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at my LFS today and seen they have the double brights on sale for 104.99 for the 36 to 48 inch model. I like the looks and sleekness along with the price of this light but I have a home made canopy on my 55 and am wondering if you have to use the legs or set it on top of something to mount it? I would like to fasten it to the under side of my canopy but couldnt see good enough while it was in the package if there is a way to mount like this. Any idea or experience on mounting one of these this way before I go and purchase this?

Also does anyone have this model on their tank and be able to post a pic of it with the lunar lights on? Have a diy setup and not gonna bother getting it if its not much of an improvement. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The wire rails that the lights rest on can be removed and put in upside down. You could then use clamps to hang the "upside down" from the roof of your canopy.

I'll take some pictures tonight and post. I bought two 36-48 for my 125 but I have one of them running on my 38 right now.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Okay, I took some pictures.

Here's the feet of the unit as they normally sit (I will not be using the feet on my 125, rather I will have the unit directly on the glass, which is a suggested alternative from Marineland:)

Here is the underbelly of the unit; the blue LEDs are the centre row:

Here is the unit with the feet inserted upside down. By doing this you could fasten or hang the unit by its feet to/from the top of your canopy.

An alternate view of same:

Now I apologize for the following photos. They don't do the lights proper justice. They are quite bright and have a really nice shimmer. I had the camera on a tripod and did not cover any windows, so with the longer exposures there's lots of light bleed from the house across the alley!
Lights on, unit sitting on glass:

Blue only, sitting on glass:

Blue only, on feet (keep in mind that your lights will be much higher above the water surface if they're mounted to the underside of your canopy roof:)

All on, on feet:

Pardon the mess of tubes; I'm seeding a canister for my new tank.

Hope that helps,

kevin

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kevin that is exactly what I wanted to see and yet at the same time what I didnt want to see. Lol It looks so nice that now I am forced to go spend more money and get this light for sure!!
:dancing:

Thanks again I couldn't have asked for a better set of pictures showing me what i wanted to see. Was concerned that lunar lights would not be very bright with only one row of them but this has far exceeded my expectation on output.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Was concerned that lunar lights would not be very bright with only one row of them but this has far exceeded my expectation on output.
Keep in mind I had a 10 or 15 second exposure on those blue shots - so they don't light the tank nearly as much as in my pictures.

They do look nice though.

kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts