Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Magnum 350 canister filter and today I noticed that the output flow is down to next to nothing. So I pulled it out, replaced the hoses since I was planning on doing that anyhow, cleaned out the pre-filter and the carbon container, pulled out the impeller and cleaned that out really nicely, and made sure that nothing was plugged up with that peice inside the canister that filter sits on. I plugged it back in and still nothing. The impeller looks fine (no fins missing or broken) and the magnet peice is still nice and smooth and clean. Any suggestions on what would make this sudden loss in flow since about a week ago it was flowing like a beast?

If anyone can chime in with any similar experiences and their solutions it would be greatly appreciated. If I need to get parts I will have to do it soon since I leave on Tuesday!!!

Im going out of town for a week on vacation and want to make sure everything is up to par but this has set me back already!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you cleane the entire unit and inspected the impeller and shaft and found no problems than I would think the motor is going bad.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I second Smitty's response.
Ran a 350 for 7+ yrs with sand substrate.
All of a sudden the flow went to nothing.
Spent mu-coo bucks trying to fix before I realized the motor was the problem.
Do yourself a favor, and get the C-360. A great canister.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks due to the lack of cash at the moment I went out and got the Cascade 1000 today and thought I would give it a whirl. Read alot of mixed reviews on it but the lfs said I have 30 days to try it and if I dont like I can bring it back. I was concerned about getting this one as I had my heart set on the Ehiem G90 as my next filter purchase but what you gonna do. Thinking I may still get it if this doesnt perform as I hope. I dont see much room for bypass like I have been reading but can tell that the "quality" just isnt there like some others. Who knows tho, so far so good after a whopping 4 hours!! :dancing:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm new to this, but I have a cascade 600 and it works pretty good easy to clean and have ran it for over a year 24/7and it good . although having a leak issue myself with a marine land 360,good luck the cascade should get you through esspesially with a 55gl :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts