Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slammed01;3504969 said:
Hi all,

Thinking about giving up my SW 40B after a velvet outbreak and to be able to have more fish for my kids. 40B so prob dwarf species, penguin 350 biowheel and 2koralia 750s current w 200aqueon pro heater.

I'd love to have a colorful tank, even if it had a few fake plants.

So in SW, crabs and snails keep your glass/sand clean. Anything similar in FW?

How often do water changes happen and seems higher % over SW?

I'm open to other hardy fish for ease of maintenance. What rock is good from a local landscaping place for a Mbuna tank?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think mbunas are a good choice for your 40, just not too many. If you want color, maybe some yellow labs/electric yellows, red zebras etc. For a cleaner, maybe a multi cat. I like using volcanic rock to provide caves and tunnels, plus it is great for housing beneficial bacteria. You may want to consider doubling up on your filtration, since African cichlids can be real poop machines. Good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also, I do about 30% water changes weekly to keep my nitrates in check. I find that after a week, my nitrates are close to 40 ppm. I try to keep them around 20ppm or less.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
With a 40 breeder the best option for color is a ps. saulosi species tank,2 small groups of less aggressive fish could work, like labs, rusties, and cynotilapia, but these could be hit or miss. Water changes will depend on test results, most do around 50% weekly, on my 125 I do find level changes every weekend.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I agree with james1983 on the saulosi and the 50% weekly changes. A 40 breeder is a small tank for Malawi...it limits your options.

I shoot for 10ppm after a water change and 20ppm before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts