Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife seen some saltwater tanks in the pet store and well now i have one. i bought a 24 gallon nano, the guy gave me live rock and live sand. i have about two inches of water and live sand on the bottom. My question is where to start. im going tonight to buy some ro water and salt mix. do i just add it and start everything up. basically is there anything i should add to the water or will the water that was in tank be enough?

·
Registered
625 Posts
When I had a reef, I never used RO water. Just tap, dechlorinator, then salt mix.

Salt water fish are basically the same- wc's, feed proper food, right parameters, there's nothing really special you need to do if you are familiar with what it takes to keep cichlids happy and healthy.

Coral is a little tricky but again, it is not an impossible task.

You might find balancing the water a little troublesome with a small tank but don't get discouraged, good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Probably the best idea would be to run this tank for a few weeks cycling it, and making sure salinity is right, then you can try putting in a fish or invert. Inverts will react immediately to your water, if its no good, they wont survive more than 2 hours. Make sure to slowly drip acclimate your animals as they are much more sensitive than our fresh water cichlids.

Other than that good luck and have fun! and remember post what you do!

·
Registered
625 Posts
sjnovakovich, that is a very helpful link, I perused it and was amazed at the information available in one place.

Since you are considering salt water as well, I might have undersold how easy it was. I had a reef for 8 years, starting at the age of 12. The only fish I lost was eaten by a starfish. As long as you understand water chemistry (salinity is not a hard addition to master, if all parameters were that easy, water quality wouldn't be an issue) and don't let the stigma of increased difficulty get to you, it is very rewarding. Expensive, but rewarding.

I would encourage anyone to give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts