Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, looks like it's finally happened. After adding 6 itty bitty 1.5" babies for my 8ft long tank back in February, I checked on them after work today to see that I've got a pair in the process of laying eggs. I'm pretty stoked about it, but not sure I'm stoked about the prospect of having to rehome the others now that it's happened...it was always the plan to get a pair from the group and keep the pair only, but I've grown rather attached to the other four lol. Thankfully they have chosen the literal farthest end of the 8 feet of space that they could, and they're actually not being super tyrannical to the others at the moment. We'll see how long that lasts if those eggs actually hatch. Given they're young and it's the first attempt, I'm guessing not much will come of it this time around.
Organism Terrestrial plant Wood Plant Reptile
Plant Wood Organism Fish Fawn
Vertebrate Water Fawn Terrestrial plant Snout
Plant Window Water Wood Grass

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
Wow they have grown! Congrats on the spawn and hope all heck doesn't break out and you see some young ones.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
How Exciting! And, I love your (mostly) grown out Fens. they're looking extremely cool. And yes, you will probably get a reprieve of all the New World, 'spawning festivities' this run-through. Those crazy kids probably haven't figured out yet how to work this all out. So, it's possible the female will eat the eggs, or none of 'em are fertilized. Or..... who knows?
Maybe you'll have babies swimming around just about EVERYWHERE in there! :oops:
All part of the adventure, right?
-
Oh, and it looks like you have some little striped 'photo bombers' in there, practically mugging the glass. NOT too surprised those little rapscallions would quickly figure out how to thrive in that tank. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, as predicted, eggs were gone two mornings later. And he seems to have decided to try wife swapping, and is hanging out with an entirely different fish now in that area. Cichlid drama lol.

And yes, the cutteri adapted to living amongst giants very quickly :D

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
LOL!
It sounds like you are really happy you made the switch over to those big, New World Cichlids. I found that the Africans are very colorful. And yes.... there is a lot of movement going on. The thing just got kind of predictable and well, sorta boring for me in keeping an African Cichlid aquarium. But, that's a definite minority view I'm sure, as African Rift Lake Cichlids continue to boom in popularity just about everywhere.
-
So, since the Cutteri group didn't work out so well with each other in the 40 gallon tank, have you thought of any new plans for that aquarium? Are you keeping it idle to potentially raise out baby Fens (or even Cutteri!)? And, its the 36 inch long, 40 gallon 'breeder' tank you have, right?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 40 is a long, so it's 48" in length. And it is housing...wait for it...fantail goldfish lol.

Yes, I've always been a Central American girl when it comes to cichlids, over anything else...I've kept just about every different cichlid group over the years and it's the Americans, big and small, that I prefer. There are some gorgeous Africans of course, but they just never seem to hold my attention. Any time I've kept an African tank, I've always swapped it out to something different after a year or two, but will happily dedicate a tank to a solo Midas for a decade and never get bored lol. And yes, we are definitely the minority!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
OMG!
The 40 is a long, so it's 48" in length. And it is housing...wait for it...fantail goldfish lol.
Oh man... this never gets old. And, Please DO keep us guessing S-K!
I suspect at heart - you really ARE, a Renaissance Grrrrllll....

• Haha
Reactions: Sinister-Kisses
1 - 7 of 7 Posts