Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have multiple female Aftican Cichlids holding babies. I have run out of breeding tanks.
I had a female spit hers yesterday. Today she is back eating. So I am thinking it is OK to move her back to the main tank.
What do you all think?

2nd Question. Do you think I can get away with putting another female who has to be REAL close to spitting in with the fry from the one above? till she spits?

Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
Question 1- Yes, she will eat her own fry.
Question 2- No, or at least I would not. I've seen females eat their own fry as soon as they are released.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Two choices. Don't save every clutch or get a bunch of fry tanks set up. 20G for newly spit, 55G for 1/2" fry mixed and 55G to grow them from one inch to two inches...then sell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Old Newbie and DJRansome. One other question. I have the 2nd female isolates in one of those large net breeding things. If she spits in there or I come up with the courage to try stripping the fry, should I be able to put the fry in with the fry from the first female? BTW They are both from the same tank with the same species. The fry would only be 3 days apart. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
You would want to strip her within 3 days of the other fry. I would not leave the female in a breeder net. If she has been holding 18 days I would strip her into the breeder box and put her back. Then move the breeder box to the fry tank, but keep the new ones there for a week. Then see what happens if you mix them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts