Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Um... Why didn't anyone tell me mbuna bite?! :eek: I nearly got my arm gnawed off today when I reached into the tank to remove a slice of zucchini that I gave them as a treat.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
IME only the maingano have nipped at me. It is startling but no blood is drawn. Good to hear you survived.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
IME only the maingano have nipped at me. It is startling but no blood is drawn. Good to hear you survived.
It was all of them: Maingano, Yellow Labs, and Acei. At first I thought I was getting shocked; it felt like a whole bunch of little sparks hitting my arm. I thought, "oh no, my heater is shorted out and electrifying the water!" But then I saw it with my own eyes.... mbuna attack!

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
I too am glad you survived the attack.

A few years ago I was keeping some Lake Tanganyika 'Lamprologus' speciosus or what was called then the Black Ocellatus shelldwellers and was scraping some algae off the front glass and this little 2 inch fish latched on to the meaty part of my hand and when I jerked my hand out of the water, the fish landed on the floor. I quickly got it back in the tank with no harm to the fish.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I feel for Deeda! The first time my Acei bit me, I jerked my arm out so fast I almost broke the glass top! Scared the heck out of my kids too...

Oh, and I'm sorry to tell you that you legally have to call animal control now and report the incident. What if they got out of your house!? It could be a danger to the community! :) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
After reading this, I don't want to get rid of my Africans just yet. LoL. Nope, not happening, but now I'm all nervous about water changes when they're adults.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haplochromine guy said:
After reading this, I don't want to get rid of my Africans just yet. LoL. Nope, not happening, but now I'm all nervous about water changes when they're adults.
My mbuna are ravenous little monsters. They bite my arms and fingers. They bite the siphon when I'm vacuuming the sand. They bite the little API test tubes when I dunk them in the water to fill them. Cracks me up!
:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts