Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an extended power outage when I was away, I lost a number of my fish and I'm looking to rebuild my all male Hap tank. I have 135 gallon 72X18X24. I have an rena xp4 & xp3 filter plus 2 emperor 400s. From my original group I have the following male haps left:

A. Walteri
A. Marylandi
N. livingstoni
Fossorochromis rostratus
Sydontitis Catfish

They are all around 2-3 in with the Fosso being about 5.5 inches. I'm looking for some additional male Haps which will have similar temperment and diet and not get beat up too much in the tank by the other fish. The fish I know I can get through local suppliers that I'm considering are the following:

A. jacobfreibergi Otter Point
A. Lwanda
A. Lemon Jake
Placidochromis milomo VC-10
Chilotilapia Rhodesii
Placidochromis sp. â€Å"phenochilus tanzaniaâ€Â

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nothing stands out as incompatible except for the Frontosa. -They do best in groups. The peacocks you listed will be fine in the setup.
There are a number of haps/peacocks that would go well in the tank. So, what colors are you after? :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
My tank is the exact same size and I have all male hap / peacock mix that's working well. I'm aiming for mid-20's (no more than 30) fish. I think your list looks good (with the exception of the frontosa). You may also consider:

Dimidiochromis Compressiceps
Placidochromis Electra
Kandanga Borleyi
various aulonocara species
cyrtocara moori
O. Lithobates
S. fryeri
venustus
yellow labs (larger ones)

I also recently added a Paratilipia Polleni which I really like atm and gets along well. The key is to get fish that look different from each other, and to be willing to remove and switch out stock if a problem arises.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not looking for any specific colors, I just want a real colorful tank with lots of movement. I would like Copadichromis melas (dark blue/black color) but have not seen any locally or on the lists the local suppliers order from. I'm open to other peacocks if they will work with the species I have listed. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That fossie is gonna get big. The livingstoni will not be as colorful as a male venustus but I am not sure I would mix them.

Copadichromis are large and colorful and provide a lot of action as they are always on the go. We have two male borleyii and they provide a rich marroon to the pallette.

cyrtocara moorii are a nice addition as they sorta hang out and have an unusual profile that would give you the front look. Their blue sorta changes as they age but like time that takes forever.

Being you have a 72" tank you can pretty much put anything in there but the larger fish such as the rostratus and champsochromis will get in the way with the 18" footprint.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah, 72" tank means you can get away with a lot. I have seen jakes slaughter each other in 4' tanks, but you should be fine here. The other fish in the mix look good. Besides your fossie, the Mara Rocks spilototus will be the biggest fish - around 12".

Personally, I wouldn't add any additional Nimbochromis as they tend to take over tanks. Similarly, I'd avoid any of the other large predators - Tyranochromis, Champso, Aristo, etc.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have kept a single male Front in my all male 125gal setup for almost a year and a half, he has done really well and looks great. The only problem I have had is when I add a really small fish, the Front is about 8 inches and I have caught him stalking a few 1.5/2 inch fish...I removed them to the 20 gallon to grow a bit before they became snacks.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
bcbulldog32 said:
I'm not looking for any specific colors, I just want a real colorful tank with lots of movement. I would like Copadichromis melas (dark blue/black color) but have not seen any locally or on the lists the local suppliers order from. I'm open to other peacocks if they will work with the species I have listed. I'd love to hear your suggestions.
Instead of the Copadichromis melas, how about a Mloto Likmoa? It's similiar to the melas except it has a little more blue in the body and white blaze on the top.

You can get away with just about any peacocks in that tank, here are a few:
Reds/Oranges: Ruby Red, Euerka (if he's more red than the Otter Point)
Yellows: Baenschi, Maleri, Usisya, Undo Blue Neon
Blues: Masoni, Mbenji, Red Shoulder, Ngara
Green: Turkis

As previously mentioned, I also second the idea of a Placidochromis Electra.
If you stock according to your current list, you're going to end up with a lot of blue in the tank, so you might want to compliment it with some yellows. -Just food for thought... :thumb:

·
Registered
296 Posts
The only fish I'd keep an eye on are the Jakes and the Lwanda. Our Lemon Jake and Lwanda absolutely hate each other but neither are overly aggressive. The Otter point and Lemon Jake may not like each other either, but given the tank size I'd take a chance and go for it. We all have seen people with worse mixes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts