Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me know what kind of fish I have. I was told it was both, but I'm leaning more towards the maleri. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The sunshine is a common name for one of the strains/collection points of aulonocara maleri. Check the profiles for the different variations. I have a sunshine myself that isn't as yellow but mine isn't mature yet. Yours might be a yellow regal.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Yes, the names are confusing. And you can never be sure if they have kept all the races from each location pure.

The shape of the looks more Maleri than Baenschi. Sunshine often refers to a race of Maleri that is more orange than yellow and has a bluer body.

Baenschi have a nice yellow forehead, but have a more curved shape than Maleri.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was referring to the Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Maleri Is.) yellow regal. Yes, the is also a New Yellow Regal which is the Baenschi.

G

·
That's the Marleri. From what I've seen, A. baenschi has a more rounded head while the A. stuartgranti Marleri Island has a pointed head like the other stuartgranti species.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your input. I'll try to get more of a close up on him. I still have a lot to learn about the different species and the islands and things. While looking at him, he does tend to favor the Maleri more than the baenschi. I'm looking at the profiles as well. Thanks again

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As promised, here are some close ups. Thanks Rizup...I do believe I indeed have a maleri. Nice looking baenschi by the way! I can see the difference in the shapes of the heads. My fish is pointed and yours is more rounded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.