Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is better? I do not know which is better for me? I mean I have 2 yellow labs, 2 hongi, 2 acei, 1 pearl zebra, 1 red zedra, 1 pleco, 2 colbats and one mix of red and peral zedra that gets picked on. I only have one female right now and it is the hongi. They are in a 80gal bowfront that is 4ft long. It is in my room and I really do not have anyother room for another tank. What should I do?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A male tank allows you to have more species, which usually means more colour, since many females can be quite drab. So, IMO, that's the only plus to male tanks.

The downside to an all male tank is weeding out your females, and dealing with increased aggression until you do. Venting is good, but requires fish that are close to mature size before it's an accurate way to sex them...

Having breeding groups allows you to watch the interaction between males and females, and the males show off more, IME. Mouthbrooders are pretty amazing, so that's a real plus to having breeding groups.

I've tried all male tanks, but after keeping breeding groups for years, found the all male tanks quite boring. Others wouldn't have it any other way!

It's all a matter of your preference.

If you go with breeding groups building them around the stock list you have, you'd need to get rid of all of the zebras except for one species, since the ones you have will crossbreed. (This includes the Cobalts.) You'd also need to seperate the yellow labs and red zebras, as they will hybridize. And, the two Labidochromis species may hybridize, as well, if you don't have adequate ratios of male / female of each species.

So, again, you're going to need to sex the fish, but it will be easier to pick out extra males than it will be to pick out the females, IMO.

Plus, if you do wish to breed, you'll need grow out tanks for the fry if you plan to raise them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! My next question is: if I breed how big of a holding tank do I need? And were do I sell the fry at?

·
Registered
929 Posts
For mbuna.. the all male tank is harder. I've found that many male mbuna don't reach their potential without females and if they have females, there are agression issues.

The Haps/Peacocks, they'll show to each other.... and even one female in the tank isn't goign to cause disaster... but it's best to keep the females away to keep agression down. It's also easier to sex Haps/Peacocks. In a 125, you can have 20-25 different species.. which is really really cool. Also female haps are more drab than female mbuna.. many female mbuna look nice, if not better than the males.... For mbuna, fish like Msobo have nice red females, Red Zebra females are nice, Demasoni are decent, Salausi, all these come to mind as being REALLY nice females..For Haps... fish like the Fossochrmosi Rostratus have a cool silver with spots, the Borleyi Females look kind of cool.. and a venustus female has some color.. but most are very very very drab.

Point is, Mbuna can have mixed tanks and have both genders dimorphic and even look like different species(like Msobo for example).. So Mbuna, do a mix, for Haps, I'd do all male.. unless you want to breed.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
slidercat said:
thanks! My next question is: if I breed how big of a holding tank do I need? And were do I sell the fry at?
For holding moms, you need a 10G, or even a 5G will do. (I've got a friend who uses the little 2G tanks for them!)

For fry to grow out, you'll need the same size tanks as for the holding moms. I have a 5G that I put brand new fry in for the first two weeks, then I move them up to the 10G for a couple of months. After that, I have a 25G long that works great for the rest of the grow out period.

You can sell them on the trading post here, or if you can establish yourself as a reputable breeder with the LFS, they will usually take them.

You won't get rich, and it may take a long time for you to even break even, but it's an enjoyable aspect of the hobby. :thumb:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You can post your ad in the trading post (at the top of the forum right below the banner) and specify your location!

Sorry for the confusion!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.