Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have to rehome male salousi,labs etc. to maintain proper male female ratios can they be in a tank of their own together. For instance I have Saulosi, White Labs,Yellow Labs and White tops. A tank with a mixture of these males say 6-8. Are males aggressive without females if you have those numbers?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Just like any all-male tank you want one of each, no look-alikes. What are the dimensions of the tank? 8 males in a 55G could work if you have one of each and no look-alikes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Just like any all-male tank you want one of each, no look-alikes. What are the dimensions of the tank? 8 males in a 55G could work if you have one of each and no look-alikes.
I am thinking of a 55 gallon. White Lab, Saulosi,Yellow Lab,and White top afra are what I have. Do any of these look enough alike. Closest would seem to be male Saulosi and male White Top afra. The problem is that would be only four if limited to one each. So maybe not good idea.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Exactly. They do look different enough...the 2 labs might feel competitive just because they are both Labidochromis.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Additionally the cobalt blue zebra is a different genus and a different color, yellow tail acei also different genus and look. You could skip the white lab and do an albino scolofi if you want white, different genus there too.

I was told that the Saulosi and Afra's may look too similar because they are both vertically striped, you could do a Johanni or Maingano instead, they have horizontal stripes rather than vertical.

(I'm a newbie, don't take my word for it, just offering information from my research)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I don't think OP is wanting a display tank but rather a place to put leftovers where they won't kill each other. Problem is he has several extra males of each species...so they are likely to fight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts