Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
too early to tell? Both late juveniles, probably only 5-6 months old.

Crappy picture of the one I BELIEVE this is the female, yet I am not sure

·
Registered
912 Posts
The one with the strange abnormal black marking on the gill cover is also deformed in the body. Note the notch in the back just above the caudal peduncle. Unless you are looking to develop a breed of deformed shortbody Firemouths that fish is not a viable breeder (not judging, look at the popularity of the Bloody Parrots and Balloon Rams!). The spinal deformity that causes that short body is almost always genetic, one of the few instances where deformed fish actually are genetically damaged. I would consider breeding it just to see if the odd color in the gill cover is also genetic, but personally would not continue the strain past two generations regardless.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Perhaps a new stylish fish asia has produced ? ie , balloon rams , balloon mollies , balloon red eye tetras , etc etc ....

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would say from the length of the extensions on the fins, that they are both too young to sex at this time. Even if they were old enough, it is a lot more difficult to sex Firemouths than most people think. Best chance is venting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts