Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if my 2 livingstonii are male or female. Requested males when purchased at about 2/3" from a reputable seller. Colours when received seemed male enough (blue faces) but haven't developed that full blue yet. Had them over a year and purchased at 2/3". I have a full mixed tank on mbuna/haps/peackocks who get on fine. My venustus has coloured up lovely and I'm sure the livingstonii are above him in the pecking order. Mbuna's are the tank bosses but don't hassle the haps one bit.

Are they just shook males or actually females, one of them does develop what looks like a small penis after a water change then digs up a cave to guard for a day or two, all whilst going lighter in colour. Tried to include as many pics as possible showing the color changes they do go thorough and the last few show them as juveniles.

Any help appreciated as always

#highdef_cichlids

Attachments

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
One looks male, the last 2 pics look female to me. When I had Livingstonii in an all male tank, I noticed their colors changed alot. One minute fully colored, the next just a colored face. They weren't nearly as consistent as the venustus and polystigma.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
if they ever have any blue, they would be male. One definitely male. Livingstonii are not males that will stay fully coloured all the time like some Haps. A second male may never color up much at all. Pretty normal for them to keep their camo colour most of the time.

Mbuna may not "hassle" or chase the Haps but Mbuna can intimidate them. If you want Haps to colour fully, and grow bigger, they really shouldn't be kept with Mbuna.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts