Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the difference between male and female auratus' but I cant tell if this is just a female with her dominant colors or if its a male and it takes some time for the complete color change to take place. Fish are still juveniles also, only about 4 months old. Any input is wonderful guys thankyou. BTW The yellow and black pair I just put in for reference for anyone who may not know the difference between sexes who does look!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
At that age, highly probable it is a male. The only 100% method is venting though. When you say pair, you have just two auratus?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So holy **** how funny is this, I notice one of the "female" mbunas mouth is kind of large and bulging, mainly right underneath. Shes acting strange and hiding under this rock in the back of the tank and it LOOKS like shes got a mouth full of fry! I wanted to make sure there was no illness that would cause this before I get excited though?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frenzy said:
Congrats on the spawn. What other species do you have?
Convicts, Jewels, Jellybeans, and firemouths.
Check this out, tell me if shes holding or what, because I did some research and in a couple days I couldnt see the bulging mouth anymore and there were no fry....Can anyone explain this>
check this out and tell me what happened, no fertilization? Eat them?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
It looks like she definitely has a mouth full of eggs in that picture. It's not uncommon for first-time mother fish to eat their first batch. Sometimes it's because the eggs are not fertilized, but it could just be because mom is not used to it. Often they'll get the hang of it on the 2nd try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.