Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am currently in the process of moving over to a larger tank. I currently have a 45 with 2 BB Chiclids and 2 unedified cichlids, although I think they are peacocks. One is pure orange/browish with a few spots on his fins and the other is light blue with light vertical dark bars. All these fish co-exist with a small painter turtle my kids found in the woods (yes, the get along just fine!) and we are going to release in our pond next spring. There is also 1 pleco. I am moving them all over to a 75 gallon.

Anyway, with the new tank I want to know if I should get all males, females or just a mix. The Cichilids that are in the tank are unsexed as they were bought about 6 months ago when they were very, very small. I want to add a few Haps/Victorians but would be open to suggestions on species- and also the sex of the fish. I only want 4 more fish as I like to keep the tank moderately stocked. Also, just out of curiosity, what would be considered moderately stocked for a 75 gallon Cichlid tank? The filter can handle 160 gallons...Oase Biomaster 600 thermo with Pond Matrix and Biohome Ultimate for media.

Thanks for any help and suggestions that can be given!

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Any chance you can post clear pics of your 4 cichlids and maybe we can guess what they are?

What is a BB cichlid?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Deeda gave you good advice.
Hello Deeda,

Here are a few pictures of the 2 fish in question.

BB= Bumble Bee

Any advice on stocking males/females?
You have 3 species already with one being large/aggressive...the bumblebee a.k.a. Crabro. I would stock as follows:
1m:9f crabro
1m:4f socolofi
1m:4f rusties

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Good advice from @DJRansome regarding stocking but I see you only want to add 4 more fish and that may be a problem as the fish compete for territory and adding females to the mix will just make it worse.

What are your goals for this tank and I will assume the turtle will also be moved over until next year?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good advice from @DJRansome regarding stocking but I see you only want to add 4 more fish and that may be a problem as the fish compete for territory and adding females to the mix will just make it worse.

What are your goals for this tank and I will assume the turtle will also be moved over until next year?
Too be 100% truthful I really didnt know the Bumblebees were super aggressive. Until I seen them with the turtle....the chase him sometimes but he thinks they are playing. How large to BB get? 5"? Also, how to tell M vs. F? I know the males turn black, but at what age?

The turtle will be moved yes....to our pond. Some questioned if raising a turtle and releasing him into the wild was cruel. But my wife, who is a biology teacher and raises endangered Diamond Back Terrapins and releases them into the wild every year for NOAA, says their instinct will kick in and the turtle will be just fine. We (my kids, wife and I) just wanted to give him a fighting chance. We have some very large Bass in our pond and he would have most likely gotten eaten. Hes growing and very heathy.

As far as the goals for the tank...we love fish and enjoy watching them. We wanted some more colors so was thinking a 2 OB Ahli and maybe 2 Kyoga Flame Backs. But like I said, I wanted to check with someone with way more experience than me before I make any decisions.

Quick question....can dwarfs Africans live with their larger cousins or is this a no-no?

Thanks for all the help so.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
I'd wait for someone with more experience on the species you want to comment here but if you are wanting to do an all male tank, the usual suggestion is only 1 male per species and none that look similar to each other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd wait for someone with more experience on the species you want to comment here but if you are wanting to do an all male tank, the usual suggestion is only 1 male per species and none that look similar to each other.
In have no idea what the gender of the species I have now! But I agree, going to wait for some more advice before making a decision. The fish are happy (for now) in the smaller tank so I have another week or so before I move everything over and could always wait for more advice before adding any additional fish,

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Haps like the ahli (really fryeri) and peacocks like the OB are risky in an aggressive mbuna tank. The fish don't pair...when kept as 1m:1f the male will likely kill the female.

If you want lots of variety I would rehome the crabro, socolofi and rusty. And choose a dozen haps and peacocks that look nothing alike. So one fryeri and one OB to start.

Keep the old tank for rehoming males that don't end up working well with the others. All male tanks most often require some tinkering (swapping out fish) before you get a mix that works in the long term. Figure on doing that for a year or two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haps like the ahli (really fryeri) and peacocks like the OB are risky in an aggressive mbuna tank. The fish don't pair...when kept as 1m:1f the male will likely kill the female.

If you want lots of variety I would rehome the crabro, socolofi and rusty. And choose a dozen haps and peacocks that look nothing alike. So one fryeri and one OB to start.

Keep the old tank for rehoming males that don't end up working well with the others. All male tanks most often require some tinkering (swapping out fish) before you get a mix that works in the long term. Figure on doing that for a year or two.
Thanks for the advice DJRansome.

Are all my fish Mbunas? I know the BB are, but wondering about the Rusty and Socolofi. I didnt realize the BB were that aggressive and can get fairly large. I should have done a bit more research before I purchased them. If I were to re-home the BB and add a few more Rustys and socolofi , could I add other smaller (max size) Mbunas as well? Would be some other Mbunas I could add to the tank to get some more color?

Any idea of anyone in Massachusetts who might take the BBs?

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts