Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there fellow members, I'm new to these forums. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to become a member. I bought this fish from my LFS about 2 weeks ago, I've been doing a ton of research on determining the gender of my firemouth, of course I came across people who said different things like anal fins, coloring, body shape etc. Others say that dosen't mean a thing so I'm a bit confused. I was hoping some of you firemouth Gurus can give a noobie a hand and tell me the sex of my cichlid. He/she might still be to young to tell, I'll let you guys decide.

I'm going on a 50/50 and say It's a female.. what do you pros think?

Thanks in advance guys. :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more like 1 1/2 lol

can you give me some tips on distinguishing weather male or female please? a few months from now I rather just look at him/her without posting a complete new thread :) THANKS!

·
Registered
204 Posts
firemouths are one of the harder ones to sex even when mature, most accurate way is to Vent them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
agreed, venting is the best way. Males are a bit bigger, a bit more aggressive (in a FM that would be hard to distinguish--never had one that wasn't uber nasty--male or female).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not very familiar with that word "venting" can you link me a page somewhere I can read more of this please :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.