Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a mixed gender tank. Mostly male peacocks and haps, however there are 2 female fossochromis rostratus. Those fish breed regularly. I know people like the all male look, but I would encourage you (if you can monitor it and try to stick with ones that are different) to have some females if the tank size/tankmates are suitable. Without females you will never get the color on some fish (granted there is a solid argument that doing this would cause other fish in the tank to not color as much).
I think its a bit risky to try that. You could get some really out of control aggression, but haps can be quite different from each other so you may get away with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agreed - it needs to be monitored. I was merely suggesting the tank with males and females can be more enjoyable. In my case it can certainty be luck, but I think having the larger haps that has not much resemblance to the other males helps out. Also the colors the 2 male rostratus get are only a result of having females in the tank.
So you have a breeding group of Rostratus and the rest is all male haps and peacocks? I guess that's a bit like doing all male haps / peacocks with a group of yellow labs. Nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts