Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to have a all-male peacock tank with Haps males and females (1M:4F). That way I can get the color of different peacocks without worry about cross-breeding.
However, will peacocks cross-breed with haps? In that case I might just do an all-male tank.
Thanks !
Ami

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The peacock males if they are dominant will control the breeding...the female haps may be reluctant (instinct to breed with a more suitable male) but you will still likely end up with hybridization given all the extra males, "they'll take what they can get" since they won't have any females of their own. You would be best to choose one or the other, all male or breeding groups.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lilscoots said:
The peacock males if they are dominant will control the breeding...the female haps may be reluctant (instinct to breed with a more suitable male) but you will still likely end up with hybridization given all the extra males, "they'll take what they can get" since they won't have any females of their own. You would be best to choose one or the other, all male or breeding groups.
Thanks. I might end up just doing an all-male set up :fish:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rennsport2011 said:
It really depends on which Haps you choose.
Oh, so there is hope :D

Here's my list of Haps (1M: 4F)
Otopharynx lithobates (Z-rock)
Venustus
Copadichromis Azureus
Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) aka Tangerine tiger

Also, here's the list of male only peacocks :--
Ruby red peacock
A. baenschi (Sunshine)
A. jacobfreibergi
Firefish / Dragonblood / Strawberry peacock
OB peacock

Thanks !

·
Registered
446 Posts
The peacock males could breed with all the haps except maybe the venustus but then again anything is possible. I would just go all male.

·
Administrator
41,690 Posts
How big is this tank? With 4 species groups of haps you may not have room for peacocks anyway. Even haps can crossbreed, it depends on which you choose. Make sure females look very different...like one with stripes and one with spots, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
How big is this tank? With 4 species groups of haps you may not have room for peacocks anyway. Even haps can crossbreed, it depends on which you choose. Make sure females look very different...like one with stripes and one with spots, etc.
That settles it, I'm going to have an all male tank and set my recliner in front of it :popcorn:
BTW, I have a 125G tank.
Thanks for all your advice !

·
Administrator
41,690 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Yes. It is not ideal because people don't want to create hybrids which are widely unwanted among African Rift Lake cichlids, and other species as well.

So you would not want mixed gender haps and male-only peacocks in the same tank because the peacock males will breed with the hap females, creating hybrids.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a mixed gender tank. Mostly male peacocks and haps, however there are 2 female fossochromis rostratus. Those fish breed regularly. I know people like the all male look, but I would encourage you (if you can monitor it and try to stick with ones that are different) to have some females if the tank size/tankmates are suitable. Without females you will never get the color on some fish (granted there is a solid argument that doing this would cause other fish in the tank to not color as much).

·
Administrator
41,690 Posts
I do prefer mixed gender to all male and encourage that absolutely. But for me it is all males get a harem of their own species (not just some) and species selected to minimize crossbreeding. Anything to avoid euthanizing fish.

Reactions: marten

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a mixed gender tank. Mostly male peacocks and haps, however there are 2 female fossochromis rostratus. Those fish breed regularly. I know people like the all male look, but I would encourage you (if you can monitor it and try to stick with ones that are different) to have some females if the tank size/tankmates are suitable. Without females you will never get the color on some fish (granted there is a solid argument that doing this would cause other fish in the tank to not color as much).
I think its a bit risky to try that. You could get some really out of control aggression, but haps can be quite different from each other so you may get away with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agreed - it needs to be monitored. I was merely suggesting the tank with males and females can be more enjoyable. In my case it can certainty be luck, but I think having the larger haps that has not much resemblance to the other males helps out. Also the colors the 2 male rostratus get are only a result of having females in the tank.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Agreed - it needs to be monitored. I was merely suggesting the tank with males and females can be more enjoyable. In my case it can certainty be luck, but I think having the larger haps that has not much resemblance to the other males helps out. Also the colors the 2 male rostratus get are only a result of having females in the tank.
So you have a breeding group of Rostratus and the rest is all male haps and peacocks? I guess that's a bit like doing all male haps / peacocks with a group of yellow labs. Nice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Correct, breeding Rostratus and the rest of the fish are males. Once again not suggesting this will work all the time, but if you have the right tank size I would recommend it. I did it another time years ago as well with a different hap group.

·
Administrator
41,690 Posts
Actually peacocks and haps rarely breed with mbuna by their own choice. Whereas peacocks and haps OFTEN breed with each other when there are not sufficient females for each male. So it is different in that the crossbreeding risk is high.

Reactions: marten
1 - 20 of 23 Posts