Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused, I have 5 female zebras in my tank with a blue cobalt male. 3 of the females all go through spawning phases where their egg tube is out (and they act somewhat more aggressively) but the male just does not seem interested. They are all 3.5" or more. The male is the first fish I added, he's been in there about 6 months whereas the females have been in there less than that. Currently I've got a pearl zebra who's ready to go, she's pictured below. The tank is a 75 gallon.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
Are you sure that your Cobalt Zebra is male? A blue "Red Zebra" male is a different species from a "Cobalt", so they would be hybrid fry anyway.

Your "Pearl Zebra" isn't one. Just a Yellow Lab hybrid, which are very common.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I'm positive the cobalt is a male, everything about him indicates he's a male and I vented to be certain. I'm not selling the fry or giving them out to others anyways so I'm not concerned if the fry are hybrids or not.

What makes you say it's a yellow lab hybrid? The picture isn't the greatest lighting, she's not yellowish as she appears in the photo. I got her from reputable online cichlid website who sold her as a pearl zebra.

Regardless, my question still remains...

·
Registered
210 Posts
For starters there's no such thing as pearl zebra.

For cross species there is no guarantee they will breed, the males only like certain colors. There's also no guarantee that there will be viable fry.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
Cyphro said:

For cross species there is no guarantee they will breed, the males only like certain colors. There's also no guarantee that there will be viable fry.
There is a natural M. callainos that is solid white called "Pearl"
Nice male here in this vid... I have no idea why this video has this absurd audio? From a movie? Silly. Turn of the sound if you are offended easily.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyphro said:

"The "Pearl Zebra" is characterized by both males and females having a pearl white color, while the OB morph has black blotches on a pink-blue body." - found right here in the library.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
If you are just curious, it may depend on the mix of fish in the tank, and which fish are male. Usually you will have at least one male willing to breed, even if they are different species. If the females are healthy enough to have eggs, they should find a male.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noki said:
If you are just curious, it may depend on the mix of fish in the tank, and which fish are male. Usually you will have at least one male willing to breed, even if they are different species. If the females are healthy enough to have eggs, they should find a male.
So I have a male red zebra who I've caught breeding with a female red zebra twice but he's not the dominnt fish in the tank. I do see him digging sand and but the cobalt blue often chases him out of the caves and has chased him into the top corners periodically whereas the male red zebra never chased the blue cobalt. That's where the most of my confusion comes from, why the subdominant male has been observed breeding but the dominant hasn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts