Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was worthy of a question.

In my tank of mbunas, which includes groups of cobalts, labs, dems, socolofis, but I also have 2 male kenyis which I hope soon to take back to the lfs as well as some.

Yesterday after a water change I noticed one of the males doing the mating shake towards the other male kenyi. Both are 3" long. *** never seen that before, neither heard of it. so I was wondering if anyone has any experience that could tell me what they could be doing. I know for sure that it was a spaning dance, as he shook his body violently.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Males will do what looks like spawning dances with another male, but the intention is to be threatening not seductive. If this is the first time you have seen this, then your males are sexually mature and starting to fight over the tank. I would rehome both of them as soon as possible as the displays will only get more violent.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not a spawning dance…

It was a dominance dance…

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it was some dominant dance, since they are both males. I just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.

yeah theyare both gold with dark vertical bars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same problem in my tank with 2 male Kenyi. I have 1 that is more yellow than the other. I have thought of seperating the two but don't have the room unless i add him into a tank with Saulousi's (I don't think that would be a very good idea). :?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I had what I thought was 1 male and 3 female kenyi until one of the "females" started getting yellow on it. I took it straight back to the LFS before trouble started.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Dewdrop, I really need your secret on picking males... LOL

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My "male" ruby red turned out to be a hormoned female . . . I thought "he" was just a crappy looking fish, but my Red Empress knew it was a girl and they apparently did their thing because a few days later, eggs dropped out of "his" mouth as he went for some food and that pretty much clinched it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
one of my female kenyi is still blue but her fins are starting to look a little yellow. I am hoping it has something to do with the meds in the tank. I don't want her to be a him lol I don't think I will get that lucky though. She/he has just had a serious growth spurt and now the fins are changing. Late bloomer I guess. Until very recently she/he was half the size of my male (very yellow) now they are the same size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts