Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 randomly selected red zebra juv's. I initially was afraid that I had 1 m/3 female because 3 are smaller and bright orange, and one is larger but a very pale (almost peach) color. However, the larger/paler one is always gaurding a cave- chasing all other fish away and is constantly chasing the others around. I have seen the pale one circling with the other zebras several times. One time I thougt it was holding egss because about an hour after I fed them it spit a few small things into the water and gathered them back up but maybe it was poop or something, IDK. Anywyas, I guess my question is can the male be more drab than the females?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Unfortunately, the behaviour you're describing isn't indicative of anything...But, yes, the male could be a lighter colour than the females.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cichlidaholic said:
Unfortunately, the behaviour you're describing isn't indicative of anything...But, yes, the male could be a lighter colour than the females.
Thanks! Yes, I figured the behavior can be confusing! If it's a female, it's one mean female! At least for now, the mix seems to work, I know that can drastically change as they get older though.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
A male Red Zebra (that is orange to begin with) will usually be less bright orange... yes, a female can be more colorful. Males can get a blue tint, especieally in the dorsal fin, and sometimes get a light peach color. Males are sometimes kinda dull.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noki said:
A male Red Zebra (that is orange to begin with) will usually be less bright orange... yes, a female can be more colorful. Males can get a blue tint, especieally in the dorsal fin, and sometimes get a light peach color. Males are sometimes kinda dull.
Thank you :) I am really hoping I lucked out and got 3f/1m.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My male rz is the most stunning fish in my tank. He is also the biggest. He is much lighter in color than two of the females. The other female (she is always holding) is almost pink. At times, the male is almost yellow. He is orange, but the shade is so nice. The blue in his fins is beautiful. When I bought them, they were all the same size. Now he is three times the size of the females. He is the only fish I named in my tank. I call him Big Meanie, but he isn't really mean.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JessiLou said:
My male rz is the most stunning fish in my tank. He is also the biggest. He is much lighter in color than two of the females. The other female (she is always holding) is almost pink. At times, the male is almost yellow. He is orange, but the shade is so nice. The blue in his fins is beautiful. When I bought them, they were all the same size. Now he is three times the size of the females. He is the only fish I named in my tank. I call him Big Meanie, but he isn't really mean.
I bought them last week and at the time they all really looked about the same size. Now the peachy one is a bit bigger than the other 3. The other 3 are a very bright orange, this one is peachy with almost a sheen to it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine all looked the same when I got them also. It didn't take long at all for the male to start showing how beautiful he is. I love my Big Meanie, can you tell? lol He has a different personality than the other fish. He is the boss of the tank just because he is. He doesn't have to do anything to be the boss. He isn't aggressive but he does break up any squabbles in the tank just by showing up. He also tends to break up any spawning that doesn't involve him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.