Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I don't see a whole lot of aggression as far as bullying goes, maybe a chase across the tank at most or an occasional cornering with a stare down with the bigger guys. Working on an all male hap/peacock tank. I have all sizes from 1 1/2 inch to close to 4 inch. I haven't seen who is doing it, but one of my fish is nipping the dorsal fin tip of of my juvenile males? Have you seen this before? Tank boss is electric blue, second in command is a red fin borleyi, third at the moment, keeps challenging both above once in a while is my Flameback (sold as) that I think is a Pundamilia nyererei, fourth is a Turkis, and the rest just get along with all. I assume it is the tank boss, although I have never seen him even acknowledge them for th3 most part? The pics below show my red empress juvenile male with the tip gone and a beautiful orange male with the same. (I forgot the name, have it wrote down.) They weren't like this before. They were longer and pointed. I have a juvenile red jacobfreibergi and a sunshine that it hasn't happened to? The others are just to small yet. It's a 125 gallon 72 x 18 footprint.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, after much thought and no replies, I got to thinking you all thought "fin nipping, they all do that, especially male". I meant specifically the tip of the dorsal. But....after careful inspection and watching a lot more close with the smaller guys, I figured it out. Believe it or not, they were cut off by my Fluval CP4 circulation pump. Look at the pic on the red empress and you will see it looks like someone took a knife to it. To clean, not shredding or stringy, like being nipped. Lesson learned. Do you think they will grow back?

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
They will grow back, but how will you remove the problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question. I need the circulation. Is there some sort of screen that is safe for fish tanks? I thought I read somewhere of someone using fiberglass screen in their tank without issues. Maybe the DIY section. Not sure if fish are like humans, but neither of the two it happened to have returned for more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts