Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This morning I couldn't find the male Convict in my 55 gal. tank! He and the female had just spawned about 1 1/2 weeks ago. They're both very protective and keep a 3 1/2" GT and a 3 1/2" RD away from their side of the tank. I found him later in the day as I was doing a water change . He went from a good looking, robust fish to a frazzeled, chewed up and scaleless fish cowering behind some driftwood. Do you guys think the female was the aggressor? There are only 3 of the fry left. The GT and the RD want no part of the female Convict even though she's smaller than them! What do you guys think may have happened to him. He's in a quarantine tank but barely alive.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would say that most likely it was the female. Perhaps he decided it was time to clean up the fry and spawn again and she defended them and won?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, your reasoning makes sense. I just have a hard time imagining that smaller fish doing SO MUCH damage!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
convicts are tough, especially when protecting fry; if she can keep the rd and gt away, she can do some damage to her mate. I've had problems both ways, where the male kills the female or other way around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts