Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female convict passed away this morning :(

Right now, I have a cycled 20g with a 3in pleco and one 1.5in male convict and lots of hides.

Can someone suggest some tankmates for him? (Although he seems pretty happy whirling around the tank by himself lol)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AAUSbob said:
try for another female. that's a good tank size for a mated pair, but might be too small for tankmakes
The only problem with getting another female is that I have no one who can take all the offspring they'll produce.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The pleco might eat the eggs at night...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
The pleco might eat the eggs at night...
But then I don't want the cons to attack him to bits. >.<

Could I put a Firemouth of the same size with my con?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
In a 20g? Not wise for the long term...
+1

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Riceburner said:
+1 leave him alone in the tank or get a bigger one(tank) and a female.
I am not allowed to have a larger tank, but I was told that I could put a FM and a few swordtails in with him.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Who told you that? Don't listen to that advice, the swordtails might work, but definitely not the FM

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who told you that? Don't listen to that advice, the swordtails might work, but definitely not the FM
I was told by a mod on this forum. Why will a FM not work? Why WOULD the swordtails work?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
In a 20 long it wouldn't work for their whole lives, maybe for temporary home... The swordtails would work because they'd act as dithers, and they're not cichlids. Typically cichlids will be aggressive to other cichlids, and mostly ignore non-cichlids (catfish, danios, tetras, swordtails)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In a 20 long it wouldn't work for their whole lives, maybe for temporary home... The swordtails would work because they'd act as dithers, and they're not cichlids. Typically cichlids will be aggressive to other cichlids, and mostly ignore non-cichlids (catfish, danios, tetras, swordtails)
What about for a few months until I move out of the dorms?

Could I put in red minor tetras instead of sword tails?

What's a dither??

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Why not wait until you can move out of the dorms and have the bigger tank so you avoid the problem all together? And those tetras should be alright, watch for fin nipping though, they're notorious

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Dither fish are fish - usually fast, schooling fish (I personally wouldn't try swords) - that are put in a tank to help bring out shy fish or to help with aggression in a tank. Or just to take up space when you have no other options ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SinisterKisses said:
Dither fish are fish - usually fast, schooling fish (I personally wouldn't try swords) - that are put in a tank to help bring out shy fish or to help with aggression in a tank. Or just to take up space when you have no other options ;)
Okay, I just went to petsmart, what about these guys? lol

Angelicus botia
Giant Danio
Clown barb
Long finned rosy barb
Rosy barb
Penguin terra
Green cory catfish
Emerald green cory catfish
Red minor terra
Zebra danio
Australian rainbow fish

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Definitely not cories, they would be helpless and get massacred most likely. Giant danios are one of the most common dither fish...they're a good size, and very fast. Rainbows would probably work, but you might notice them slowly picked off over time. Barbs would be okay, but I personally would avoid the long-finned types; they're slower and the long fins are a bigger target for fish to pick on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SinisterKisses said:
Definitely not cories, they would be helpless and get massacred most likely. Giant danios are one of the most common dither fish...they're a good size, and very fast. Rainbows would probably work, but you might notice them slowly picked off over time. Barbs would be okay, but I personally would avoid the long-finned types; they're slower and the long fins are a bigger target for fish to pick on.
Okay. What about tetras?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts