Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male convict and I just added two females. My male immediately took a likeing to both females. It seems he has wardened them off to seperate parts of the tank and visits each of them. Is this normal for convicts?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
No, it's nothing to unusual. Convicts definately have a tendancy to be polygamous....though certainly not always. Have had many males pair up with more then one female at the same time; on a few occasions I have had males that were paired with 3 females at the very same time . Have had a few instances where males actually bred with 2 females at the same time and devided their time between both females.

Generally what is required are sex ratios with more females then males; enough space to keep the females apart and/or a male that is willing and able to keep the females apart from each other.

Never actually had a long term monogamous pair of convicts. Although males definately have a marked preference for certain females, when ever I have kept convicts in larger groups they always switched partners and usually quite frequently.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts