Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im new to the forum. and semi new to cichlids. I currently have 5 convicts under my roof. 1 male, 2 female and 2 offspring.
Long story short bought male and first female same size. laid eggs and lived happily for 3 months then one day i woke up to femle almost without fins. SOO i turned to the internet and read to get another female (the male grew larger than female so i thought that size was the reason). Along came bigger female (thought she was bigger than him turns out same size) male chose 2nd female (moved first female into 10 gallon ) another 3 months marriage seemed great and upteen batches of babies later woke up female no fins. :x now both females and 2 offspring are in 10 gallon hospital tank. (hopeing 1 offspring would be a male for the first female.) Why is he soo set on killing his wives? i have tried everything. including target fish(would like to add that he doesnt even bat an eye at them) and throwing all my silk plants i have in the 30 gal. my tank looks like a flooded jungle. i read all the times that you can keep a single pair together and they work great. what is going on? :-?

should i forgo having a pair and maybe getting 1 other type cichlid that can hold its own? any ideas what other cichlid i can put in my 30 with my male convict? i was hoping a jack but *** read they need a bigger tank so thats a no.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
my opinion is because they were forced pairs. A forced pair is when you buy a male and female and expect them to spawn and get along. Not always the case as you're finding out.

The best way to attain a pair is to get six young and let them choose their mate. The pair bond tends to be much much stronger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooh that would male scence. Is it to late to try that? If I get like 2 more females and put them all in there? He's like 3 1/2- 4 inches. Or
What would be a good tank mate for him besides another convict?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I think he owns that tank now and at his size, wont stand for any other cichlid tankmates.

If the tank was bigger, I would say add a larger fish like a bigger JD or Firemouth.

It may be tough to find him a tankmate in the 30g though.

GL....Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts