Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he stopped eating about a week ago,

he wouldn't even come out of the rocks,

today he came out at feeding but spit it out(1 mm NLS cichlid formula)

he is swimming around ,his colors are definately faded,

I should also mention,other fish are rubbing in the sand like they're trying to scratch themselves

90 gallon,set-up for 9 months approx.

8 yellow labs,1 male rusty 4 females, and 1 male afra cobue 4 females,running eheim 2075 and ac110

50% water changes twice a week

I have not noticed any white stringy poo; the female rusties look long and thin.

Is this bloat?

amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 10 -15

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
Watch them and see if you can verify "normal" poo. Are the skinny rusties eating?

The flashing is not usually associated with bloat, but if it is occasional then it may not be related.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rusties are eating,yes "normal" poo
the male afra is/was the dominant fish in the aquarium, now he doesn't get the same respect as he did,
maybe the others sense that he is under the weather
I'll keep a close eye on things

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
If he has become sub-dominant and is lurking at the top or behind filter intakes or heaters, or is swimming in a vertical position in those spots...and you don't see any poop normal or thready...I'd remove him to a hospital tank. If he does not eat in a day or two maybe treat with metronidazole.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well,he isn't hiding ,
hes swimming amongst the rest,
usually,everyone would give him space now even his females are right beside him
just a diferent vibe in the tank right now :?

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
OK, well he is not eating so you are looking for the cause so you can treat it. If he was stressed I would say consider bloat and watch for other bloat symptoms.

If he is fine except for not eating then it's hard to treat.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well,I asked my daughter if she fed them,
two weeks ago I was working afternoons,she fed them a frozen cube of spirulina based brine shrimp(not baby brine shrimp)I read in the library that this could cause bloat amongst certain species,maybe this?

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
I don't think so. Besides you don't have all the symptoms of bloat.

Can't hurt anything to add epsom salts to the tank and it sometimes helps get the digestive tract moving.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just tested water parameters,

GH 7 , KH 4 , CO2 1,3 , NH3 0 , NO2 0 , NO3 more then 5 less then 10 ,PH low 8s

If not better tomorrow will start treatment for bloat using clout treatment, as for tonight ,

adding epsom salts 1 tbsp/10 gallons

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
newforestrob said:
well hes now bouncing off the back of the tank(on the glass) and rolling in the sand
My bloated fish never did this. You might be dealing with something else, I just don't know what.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My tank suffered from bloat due to a few reasons about a month and a half after I started up the tank,filter issues was the main thing,any way I,m not convinced this is bloat either,I'll try to research the symptoms (google)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
added epsoms salt yesterday and today,hes feeling better,hes chasing his females and hes starting to color - up

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
He looks great! He and his buddies could lose a little weight though, don't you think? :thumb:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yah,I just fed them,and I only feed once a day,is it eggs?

thanks for putting my mind at ease through this, he's my favourite :)

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
It's not so much string shaped as thready. Mucous as opposed to food waste. You could have white food waste (which would be thicker) if you were feeding white food.

Hope everything comes out OK.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts