Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Water Liquid Plant Natural landscape Grass
Water Plant Underwater Terrestrial plant Tree

There are many colors and sizes of trumpet snails, during the day they normally live buried in the substrate eating detritus. Their burrowing helps tp keep substrate from compacting, and going anaerobic. Right after the lights go on you may find them clinging to the glass eating algae, but quickly drop into the substrate during the day.
I don't find them problematic except if they get caught in a impeller, and there, they can do damage.
Many cichlids eat them.
Metal Natural material Fashion accessory Font Artifact

When my tanks would get overrun, I would drop in a couple Paretroplus (a genus of cichlids from Madagascar), and within 48 hours the population of snails would be decimated.
Fish Snout Underwater Marine biology Wildlife

Snails are the main diet of these cichlids in nature, and if the snail is too big to crush, their can opener like teeth easily extract the snail flesh

· Super Moderator
2,695 Posts
Are Paretroplus a substrate spawning Cichlid species?
If so? Yikes!
Would definitely NOT want a set of those can opener-like teeth going at my fingers, in a tank with a pair of fry-protective Paretroplus in it! :oops:

· Administrator
40,646 Posts
I find them a huge nuisance...clogging fine filter pads constantly. I finally got rid of them a while back and have not received new fish to get new ones since before the pandemic.

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the snails in my current tanks, I’ve been Harvesting them and adding to the 125 that has a Cyanobacteria issue I’ve been battling. I’m hoping they don’t cause any trouble in The sump of the new tank I’m setting up.

· Administrator
40,646 Posts
The cure for cyanobacteria is to remove the nutrient encouraging it's growth, else it will be never ending. For me it was removing languishing plants.

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
from the tanks setup I kept nitrates sub 10ppm (pre water change) with 60% changes and it took over (the tank was a converted salt setup that was out of control covered in it, I think I should’ve ran more than 2 bleach cycles ) It seems to be decreasing now with less light and less water changes, but I have considered abandoning the plants in the tank so i can just leave the lights off. My 3 other planted tank set up at the similar time has no algae at all, it’s definitely frustrating.

· Administrator
40,646 Posts
It is the languishing plants...you either need to fertilize them and light them, or swap them out for ones that don't need as much fertilizer/light or eliminate plants entirely.

For me mine had plenty of light...it was the fact that the plants consumed the nitrates and I did not add any to keep them healthy.

· Administrator
40,646 Posts
Remember than cyanobacteria are not really algae but bacteria. You need to get the fertilizer just right and test/dose often with fast growers. It is a delicate balance to have enough nitrogen/phospate (relative to each other and overall) to feed the plants without impacting the fish health.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts