Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have malawis and tanganyikans in the same tank.

Please, no abuse, the setup is not my fault, but rather the result of a well meaning, if misinformed LFS. I'm feeling like despairing already, so stick to help and try and keep it sounding friendly, please.

My original plan was an Mbuna tank. I read, I looked at pictures, I cycled. Then my dear mom went to the LFS to surprise me with my first few fishies.

Here we go. Do I have any hope at all if I have melanochromis auratus? Juvenile colours at the moment, so no idea of sexing.

Second problem - I don't know yet quite which species of tanganyikan I have. (I have a picture - a bad picture, sadly, up on the forums). Pretty sure it's in juvenile colours, the most likely species being a five bar cichlid, neolampralogus tretocephalus.

Can I keep them together?

How can I keep these guys as happy and healthy as possible?

The info out there is just so mixed. It almost seems to come down to individual fishies.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
many of us (myself included) mix lakes and don't understand the "rule" of no mixing.

To my eye, any mix is subject to potential problems and it's all about risks versus your ability to resolve any risk that turns into an issue.

One single Auratus may behave fine for quite some time depending on tank size. Do you have one or many? What size tank? Footprint? What rocks and caves or other decorations do you have?

Trets are a pretty tough little Tang. I'm not automatically predicting disaster... need more info. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
firstly, thank you. The biggest problem I can see is their dietary differences, but I think there are good foods out there that should help.

It's a 150 litre tank, but it's longer than most that size. I have a big stump with many crevasses and a whole bunch of rocks that I've piled into hiding places. The stump is a buffer, our water supply at home is extremely hard, in the 9 ranges, and with the stump it goes down and stays down, around 7.8. There is a bigish open space above the rock pile. I have three live plants, one that was intended as a salad, and two java ferns which may or may not make it. I'd be happy if they did, but no matter either way.

I have two auratus and the two (probably) five bars. At the moment all seems surprisingly peaceful (they barely chase each other since they can slip out of sight almost immediately), but it has been just a few days.
They've all filled out (the petshop had them a tad emaciated, probably to make them swim around more and sell better) and are brightly coloured, which are good signs.

I'd love to keep them.
Can I expand my collection? They seem to almost fill up the tank by themselves, they are wonderfully active.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alrighty, so never mind all that angst. seems they're zebras, and the mbuna tank is right back on track. Thank you again for reading and replying, it helped calm me down quite a bit.

I'll see how my auratus finish up, with hope i'll have a happy, settled community of mbunas in a year or so :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
imho i will remove the auratus as they can be very aggressive fish. in the150l tank male auratus will claim the whole tank for himself. so that pretty much i see in the long run. the zebra wont stand a chance a male auratus or even the females auratus too. but if it a lone auratus he or she will be peaceful for awhile. that my 2 cent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I mix lakes, Lake Vic and Lake Malawi, works great for me. Its a breeding tank and ensures the species are so different they will not interbreed :p (no thats not the reason I did it but it works for me).

First off, why are you dropping the PH to 7.8? I try to keep my PH near 9, to the extent of adding Baking soda to my already 8.3 water.

Trets are great fish, but I think an Auratus will give it a beat down eventually and the Tret is by far the more important of the two.

Plants for the most part(there are exceptions) do not do well in a cichlid tank. Either they are eaten or they become part of some fish engineer's idea of a redecoration, I have noticed Tangs do this quite often over the other two lake's fish.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the lowered pH is because of paranoia, I only have experience with South American fishies. If they'll be alright and happy with the 9 pH, I'd love to change from stumps to rock. I've been avidly browsing the 'rate the tank above you', and there are some stunning ideas that I really like so much more.
Thanks again for all the feedback. My bigger (by a fraction) auratus is already proving to be a bully. Sigh. I just don't know if it's worth it trying to find balance there, so they'll probably go to whoever will take them (with some luck the LFS).
I like their stipes. I see why LFSs keep these guys (and why mom picked them), who wouldn't want such a pretty little thing.
Probably going to add a bunch of yellow labs into the mix, maybe with something albino for colour.
Anyhow, so far so good with my first dealings with malawians :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.