Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan on starting a 75g by a tank that's been cycled for 3 weeks and still won't have fish in it for another month yet due to moving. Boy that's tough to do haha. But main question is are there any specific Gh and Kh for mbunas? My water is fairly neutral 7.1-7.2 PH wise, but fairly hard. Just got my Gh/Kh kit today and out of the tap my dGh is 13 and dKh is 8 (with an API kit). Do I even need to add cichlid salts since my dGh is already 13. But I should get my ph up a bit so I have some seachem Malawi buffer for that. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Welcome to C-F

Your kH and gH sound fine. With 8 kH your pH should not fluctuate. Just to be sure, fill up a cup from the tap and test pH after 24 hours.

7.2 would be considered low for Malawi, but likely acceptable, especially if your fish come from local sources. Stability is more important. If you do buff the pH, keep in mind that every time you do a water change you'll be introducing water with different parameters than your tank. So I wouldn't alter it too much.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I would bump it up a little with baking soda. All my vendors keep the Africans at a higher pH. I would go to at least 7.6...and might as well do 7.8 since you are already adding the baking soda.

Worth asking your vendor how the fish are kept.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts