Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here are some pics. At the moment, he's unhappy and colored down.

I was told he was a blue x red M. Estherae, but I doubted that as soon as he started growing. He was originally dark grey with black vertical bars (much like juvie male blue x red zebra), then he turned dark blue instead of light blue. I thought he was an Elongatus type, until he started changing color (I'm not sure if just the fins will stay yellow or his whole body will change).

General description: He has the double vertical bar across the forehead (in a brighter/lighter blue like Kenyis, etc. will have), and you can kind of see the yellow that's happening (fins and by gill plate and belly). He's normally very dark blue, almost purplish.

He very well may be a hybrid. . .though I really hope he isn't because I was told by the online seller (reputable) that he was pure male red zebra.

I appreciate the help everyone!

·
Registered
143 Posts
probably a hybrid metriaclima. I can't say that it looks exactly like any one species. My best guess is a cross between one of the Red Top Zebra species like M. Greshakei, M. Pyrsonotos or M. Emmilitos and some other metriaclima.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Closest I can think of is Maylandia/Metriaclima mbenjii but no too few bars rather like a good old lombardoi but not that iether.
No M. zebra has so few bars that I know of.
I can see no clear hybrid sines. So many Maylandia/Metriaclima species and variants (over 70 last time I tried to count) I guess it could be one I do not remember or have not seen. But if no one can find the species and variant, it might as well be hybrid as you may never match it up. :(

An in water photo might help a lot.
Colours and features are so much better shown in water.

All the best James

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Erm could it be a Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt" guys?
Sure looks Metriaclima but that might be just because thats what we were expecting to see?

All the best James

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Man, I am legitimately mad :roll:

It didn't look like the kenyis I had at one point--especially not as a juvenile. It's gone through so many color changes...Maybe orange is next :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts