Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am thinking about setting up a Malawi Peacocks tank. My tank is 150gallon with a 100gallon sump. tank is 6x2x2 with 4x2x2 sump. *** never kept cichlids before so just want a bit of advive really on the number of fish i can have. I really like the following species.

Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Maleri Is.)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Mbamba Bay)
Aulonocara baenschi
Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type North"
Aulonocara maylandi
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Cobue)
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Nakantenga Is.)
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi (Cape Kaiser)

I was thinkihg of breeding groups not sure if i would be better of with pairs or 2 females to a male?
Also how do you go on for algae can you have snails or will the cichlids just eat them?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would say it would be better to do all male tank if you want to mix a few of the same type together. If you do these there will be a lot of cross breeding and a lot of hybrid fish being created. Do what you like but I think there is a lot of that going on. Plus thats a huge sump! Nice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply. I wanted pairs or breeding groups just because I thought it would look nicer as I thought the males would be displaying to the females. I dont intend on raising the fry. The sumps so big the the tank was used for a saltwater reef and the tanks built into the wall with a filter room at the back.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
That would work if you don't intend to raise fry. But two other facts to consider. First, the males will display color even in an all-male tank. And second, once you mix the female peacocks you won't be able to sell them or give them away after that. Because you won't be able to tell which is which. So it is an 8-year commitment (their lifetime).

Well I guess three facts. Fact three is that Malawi are harem breeders. With pairs the males are likely to kill the females. Even trios may not be enough to keep aggression down. So you might want 1m:3f at least and 1m:4f of each is likely to be more successful.

In a 72" tank I have found 5 species to be ideal, but some push the envelope with 7 species. It is not a gallons thing, but rather a territory thing so the sump does not take away the limitations.

You would want peacocks that look as different as possible. For example the Maleri and baenschi may be too much alike. And you would want to avoid timid peacocks on the worry that they will be too intimidated to color up with the more aggressive peacocks.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
If you want females, why not just get one type of female, then if you ever have to split things up, you'll know what the females are?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the input. I have only just started looking in to the cichlids as my marine tank was costing an arm and a leg to run so thought I would use my main tank for cichlids and use my smaller tank for marine. I did not realise that the females was so similar. If I went for a all male tank around how many 6" fish could I be looking at.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
No reason to stop at 6" fish... you could easily go up to 10" fish as well. I would target somewhere in the 20-30 range, easily doable with your filtration.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My most heavily stocked 6 footer is a 150 with about 25 6"-10" mostly male haps and peacocks with a few large mbuna. The amount of traffic helps reduce aggression. It's all about having adequate filtration and major weekly water changes (about 75% on that tank).

I say mix it up and add some haps to the fray. With peacocks, you only have so many color variations that you will end up with duplicates/very close combinations if you want to properly stock it. These duplicates probably will not color up all that well. Haps will give you a whole other color palette and set of body shapes to go with and fill in the tank without as much fear of conspecific aggression.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Even in a 6 foot tank do you see a lot of issues with conspecific aggression and 1 dominant male of a particular species? I would think that would be enough room for at least 2-3 males to have their own territory and fully color.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
For what it's worth, if your tank is 6x2x2 its a 180, not a 150.

If you get all males after they are already colored up, in my experience they will keep their colors and show very nicely as is. I've seen plenty of fish hesitant to color up if they are not dominant, but none have ever lost the intensity they had if I purchased them that way.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
RRasco said:
If you get all males after they are already colored up, in my experience they will keep their colors and show very nicely as is. I've seen plenty of fish hesitant to color up if they are not dominant, but none have ever lost the intensity they had if I purchased them that way.
Agreed! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for all the replies. After looking at all the different species I think I am going to go with a mix of haps peacocks.
Re their any non cichlid species that make good tank mates? I used to have a tank of frontosa cichlids with a puffer but that was around 10 years ago so am still abit out of touch with fresh water species. With regards to my tank its 150 uk gallons and 180 us gallons as im posting from the uk.
Cheers again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts