Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After about 10 years of keeping tropical fish, I have finally decided to set up an African Cichlid tank.

I am based in the UK and for the first time in 10 years, I will actually appreciate having hard water!

I am planning on using my empty 240 litre Fluval Roma. Dimensions are 120cm length x 55cm height x 40cm depth.

Considering the size of the tank (I know it's not that big in the cichlid world), would you recommend Malawi or Tangs?

Dependant on your choice, could you give me some stocking ideas?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Either lake could work in a 48" tank. What made you decide on African Cichlids?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have kept a host of community and species only tanks in the past, but never African Cichlids. They lend themselves really well as my tap water is hard. They seem to have more 'personality' than other species and come in all different shapes, sizes and colours. Experience also comes into the mix, with 10 years of fish keeping I have a much better understanding of water science.

I am swaying more towards Lake Tanganyika. I have been using the Species Profile on this forum, which has been super helpful.

Based on adult sizes, I have a list of:

Cyprichromis
Gobies
Julidochromis
Altolamprologus
Neolamprologus brevis

As the Gobies are herbivores, I will probably remove them from the list.

Could all of the above species work together in an aquarium the size of mine?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would choose one shellie (brevis), one rock dweller (altolamprologus or julidochromis) and the cyps. Agree if personality, shapes and sizes are first on your list go with Tangs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts