Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I started this hobby last year. I had a weak start, with a 48 G tank but after some time I started to plan on building a big tank, custom made in my room. So here we are.

The tank built is 142 gallon. Size is 6 feet with 2 feet wide and height. Filtering is made by two canisters, Eheim 2080 and Eheim Wet&Dry 2227. Rocky hardscape and malawian cichlids. The current live stock includes: elongatus mpanga, iodotropheus sprengerae, labidochromis caeruleus, pseudotropheus acei msuli, labeotropheus trewawasae chilumba red and cyrtocara moorii. There are around 20 adult fish, 18 juveniles and 7 fry.

Here goes a pic with my hardscape when started the tank.

After one week I have added the whole stock. The canisters have been cycled in my old tank so no worries. Some pictures right after added the fish.

Some pictures with the "couples" :)

Cyrtocara Moorii (Blue Dolphin) fry

This is the tank boss. Ya, the guy in red :lol:

Some other pictures

The moonlight that keeps one extra-hour of light just to tuck them in their beds :)

Algae starting to grow

Moorii couple again

Elongatus mpanga yellow tail male

Movie, after 10 days

I`m waiting for more algae to grow on the rocks, for an authentic look.
I will post more pictures then :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great rockwork! :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Rick. Thank you.

What fish in pic #7?
If we count from the start that would be some Pseudotropheus Acei Msuli tails :D
If we count pictures from bottom-up there are no fish to the left...
But, yeah, it is mpanga yellow tail male to the left in the picture with algae start :) That would be pic #14 from top to bottom, or the first pic after the moonlight. The same guy as in the last one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i remark the same for the moorii because of the slow growing it take some years to see my dominant male have a real hump... and not fully growth... patience... patience.. :p :p :zz:

i like the algea on your rock... this add a natural look...
in my 125g i have the same look... but with the addition of one ancistrus all the rock look clean after few week... only some hole or crack has some algea at this moment...

sorry for hacking your post but i love your tank...
thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Great pics of your fish, and your rockwork/aquascape is brilliant. :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your kind words.

Let me throw a couple more pictures then, with comments :D

I`m pissed, so when is lunch time then?

You are in trouble

This is my rock

So, where are those ladies of mine?

So much time, so many algae

I wanna be in the catalogue

Time to reveal a bit the whole tank. In the afternoon, no light.

·
Registered
264 Posts
wow...
your aquarium is surely qualified for totm...

you made your stand???

the labetropheus has grest color... you intensified his color???
how much it measures???

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks.

Well, I`m pretty sure there are better tanks for totm, but thanks Bou for your kind words.

The stand. I could have tried to build it, but in the end I preferred to make the precise draw/sketch and get a real pro to make it under my exact instructions. The real stand is inside :D It`s made of rectangular steel bars, basically a skelteton that is covered with PAL boards for the looks. Wouldn`t take the chance of putting 700 kilograms (1500 lbs) on just wood. :)

The labeo is gorgeous. Now that you asked I just took the time to measure him :lol: Well, I think he`s about 4.5 inches (a bit below 12cm).
Pictures have been post-processed just a bit. The pictures have been made with the blitz which counteracts the tank lights and pulls out the natural colors of the fish. Same like when you have the tank lights off in the afternoon and when you look closely at the fish they would have much brighter colors.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts